Has anyone also got this issue when installing Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Customization' started by AmgedIsmail, Aug 9, 2014.

1. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail

Hello,
    Has anyone also got this issue when installing Windows 8.1 Build 9600 that has the orange theme as the Main Windows theme?

Shintaro, I am from Windows 7 Forums, can you please reply me if you have Windows 8.1 and try that out?

Anyone who has Windows 8.1 installed try switching between the Main orange Windows theme and other themes and then switch it back to the Main orange Windows theme and then Close the Personalization window and see if you notice a quick black flicker on the screen?

If you don't understand what I mean, then here is a video to show what I am doing.

AmgedIsmail, Aug 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. AmgedIsmail

bassfisher6522

Looks normal to me. However, I do see the flicker you're talking about. I thinks it's just part of your monitor refreshing itself after the change.

bassfisher6522, Aug 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail

Oh thank you very much for the reply. :)
    OK now I know you see the flicker.

Now, open up a window, for example "Computer" or "Screen Resolution" Window and keep clicking inside the open window and then click outside it keep doing this, click inside the open window and then click outside, then click again inside the open window and tell me if you notice orange flickering inside the open window.

This video shows how.

Do you also get this?

AmgedIsmail, Aug 9, 2014
  4. AmgedIsmail

Shintaro Moderator

Mate,

It shouldn't be a problem if you are simply switching between themes.

It would be a problem if it was happening while you are looking at the monitor in normal operation, in which case I would think that it was the inverter.

However, it doesn't seem to happen on my HP Envy laptop. What was the spec of your laptop?

You can look at the refresh rate of the monitor:
    1. Right click on the desktop
    2. Screen resolution
    3. Advanced Settings
    4. Monitor Tab

What is the screen refresh rate set to? What other refresh rates are there?

Shintaro, Aug 9, 2014
  5. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail

My laptop specs are Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 Core i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00 GHz
    Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver with 2GB nVIDIA GeoForce GT 630M

My screen is set to 60Hz refresh rate and the only other refresh rate that is available is 40Hz and when I change to that mouse movement becomes slower.

One of the Microsoft members in answers.microsoft.com has always been telling me it is a hardware issue. how can it be a hardware issue and I don't get this with Windows 8?

Please, just do as I did, have you been noticing black flickering when switching between the original orange theme and other themes and then switch back to the original theme and then close down the Personalize window to see if you notice a quick black flickering and if you did notice this, now keep clicking inside an open window and then click outside it on desktop and then click on the open window keep doing this and tell me if you notice a quick orange flicker inside that open window.

That person told me he also noticed this black flicker but I wonder if he faced the other issue the orange flicker inside open windows when he keeps clicking inside it and outside it.

AmgedIsmail, Aug 10, 2014
  6. AmgedIsmail

Shintaro Moderator

Mate,

I did try it. I didn't get the flickering that you got.
    Maybe look for updated video driver.
    Intel HD 4000 HERE.
    Nvidia GT 630 HERE

Shintaro, Aug 10, 2014
  7. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail

First, you have to get the black flicker when you switch between the themes and then switch back to the Main orange theme and close Personalization Window. If you didn't get it in the first or second time just keep doing this.

Switch to another theme switch back to the main orange Windows theme and close Personalization Window.... Keep doing the process until you notice a quick black flickering on Desktop.

After you get that black flicker prior to switching to the Main theme and closing the Personalization Window. please keep trying. You have to be patient and keep trying keep clicking inside any open window and then click on desktop.

AmgedIsmail, Aug 11, 2014
  8. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail

And let's talk about this theme changing issue.

Now right after I installed Windows 8.1, before I install any driver not even the graphics drivers or any software, I get this black flicker when I keep switching between any theme and the main Windows theme right after closing Personalization Window.

So that means the issue isn't with the graphics driver needs updating? How could it be the graphics driver when it is not even installed?

Well, now I installed the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver, and I tried all the versions and the latest driver.
    I now get this black flicker related to switching to the Main Theme issue plus I get a flicker when I keep clicking inside any open window and clicking outside it.

9. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail

This was my latest post in Microsoft site.

Well, here are my latest results.

Now, I am 100% and I can guarantee you that there is a still issue within Windows 8.1 theme.

I installed Windows 8 again, now see how the Device Manager looks like, see the Display Adapter driver.

[​IMG]

It's Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.2)

And now before I install any drivers or programs when I switch between themes and then switch back to that Main blue theme, no single flickers happens, so that means Windows 8 has no problems?

Looks like when you released Windows 8, you included graphics drivers for each system to install automatically after Windows install. Now the Windows Main Theme is a blue flower.

[​IMG]

I installed Windows 8.1 again, now see how the Device Manager looks like, see the Display Adapter driver.

[​IMG]

It's Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

And now before I install any drivers or programs when I switch between themes and then switch back to that Orange color theme, I get screen quick black flickering, so that means Windows 8.1 may have got issue when switching back to the Main theme.

I have also read this in this link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn344644.aspx

Windows 8.1 x86 and x64 graphics driver availability status Windows 8.1 graphics driver deployment changes (x86/x64)

Windows 8.1 doesn't include in-box, third-party GPU drivers. Instead, drivers are provided via Dynamic Update during the operating-system (OS) installation or upgrade process, or via Windows Update after the initial boot of the OS. Customers installing Windows from a USB flash drive or ISO image while not connected to the Internet get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver with limited functionality. Customers are encouraged to install Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL)-certified third-party drivers from Windows Update, OEM, or independent hardware vendor (IHV) websites when available.

Now, I thought of an idea. I thought that if replaced that Microsoft Basic Display Adapter which is in Windows 8.1 with that in Windows 8 (Intel HD Graphics 4000 Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.2) The issue might be fixed.

So I reverted back to Windows 8 and used DriverMax to make a backup of the graphics driver.

Now, I reverted back to Windows 8.1 and used that DriverMax software to restore that graphics driver which was pre-installed in Windows 8 but still the issue isn't fixed. :(

I am sure the issue that causes this black flicker on screen when switching back to the Main theme and then closing down the Personalization window isn't related to the graphics hardware or the driver.

I am pretty sure Windows is causing this.

I think you should get a fix to this please, work on a fix for this flicker that happen when switching themes I am pretty sure the other issue that causes flicker on my open window when clicking inside it and outside it will fade away.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question