Hard re-start after deleting font registry?

SOLVED Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greg Burns, May 26, 2015.

1. Greg Burns

Greg Burns

I deleted the font folder in my registry in order to replace it with the default Windows 8.1 fonts but then my computer froze before I could replace them in the Windows font folder and now I need to know what will happen if I hard shut down my computer and re-start without the font folder. Thanks for any help!

Greg Burns, May 26, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Greg Burns

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

It's not entirely clear what you did or how you did it.
    If you deleted a registry entry referencing the Windows Fonts folder then you may be able to use the installation media / repair option, to perform a simple system restore to an earlier restore point.

If you actually deleted the entire font folder then you will likely have to boot from another source in order to copy the folder from a source location into its' proper location.
    Usually a Live Linux Distro CD/DVD will help you get through it.

Trouble, May 26, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Greg Burns

Greg Burns

Thank you for your response! Basically, I had the problem shown at this link:

http://www.coderewind.com/2015/01/how-to-fix-corrupt-missing-unreadable-font-on-windows-8/

I followed the instructions up through step 3, and I was able to install one font, but then I accidentally opened all of the default fonts, which overloaded my computer, freezing it before I could complete step 4. Does this mean that I will likely have to boot from another source, or is it possible the folder was created again in the registry with the installation of that one font? Thanks!

Greg Burns, May 26, 2015
  4. Greg Burns

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

As I mentioned earlier.....
    The font key that you deleted as part of this process from the Windows Registry can be replaced from a System Restore point by booting from your install media and using the Repair PC option / Trouble Shoot / System Restore.

The actual Font folder the you're apparently stuck on (if you deleted that also), will have to be replaced physically into C:\Windows as C:\Windows\Fonts

The way that, that tutorial is written is confusing in that it says
    And then it goes on into multiple steps which include deleting the Font Hive from the Registry.

In the tutorial I don't see any reference to actually deleting the Windows\Fonts folder from your system so again I'm not quite sure where you're at in the process.
    If you are just expected to copy the good Fonts folder over top of the presumably bad fonts folder then the contents of the original folder may still be intact up to the point where your machine froze.

Again I would simply perform a System Restore to a point in time before you performed the registry edit, and then.....
    IF need be I would use a Linux Live Distro CD/DVD to boot the machine and repair the Font Folder in Windows by replacing it with the known good copy.

Use the LIVE environment only...... DO NOT make the mistake of installing Linux on your PC.

Trouble, May 26, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question