GRIM

Discussion in 'Security' started by Trouble, May 7, 2014.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Trouble, May 7, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

Ian Administrator

That's a pretty worrying reflection of the AV industry.

Gone are the days of running "ecard.exe" attachments via e-mail, it's all about exploits and vulnerabilities that let things in without you even knowing :(. I run Secunia on a regular basis so that I can at least try and make sure things are patched up! I'd be interested to know if there are any articles that give some tips on tightening up the system in other ways.

Ian, May 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

It is a sad state of affairs, when you pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $60.00 bucks for a one year one device subscription to something like Kaspersky (still my favorite), and you think.... alright, I'm seriously protected now, and then you read something like that article and you realize that you're maybe 50 / 50 at best. That's a bit of a wakeup call.
    I guess it's still true, that the user is still his or her own best protection and security against infections.
    But I have to wonder then.... what would be my justification for continuing to pay for a commercial solution when something free like Avast is probably plodding along and basically accomplishing the same lack-luster results.

Trouble, May 8, 2014
  4. Trouble

Shintaro Moderator

I'm always amazed at the mis-placed trust people have with AV solutions and the like. AV is like the lock on your car, it only really keeps the honest thieves out. If someone wants to get in to your car, they will regardless of the security you put on it.
    The same is for AV, if someone wants to get in to your PC, there is a good chance they will.

Hence I just use MS Defender (Free) and MalwareBytes (Free). If I want to be safe I will use TAILS on a CD/DVD.

Shintaro, May 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question