Google is rumored to be working on a video game console

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sonic, Jun 28, 2013.

1. sonic

sonic

Source

Exactly what we need, more consoles. It seems like everyone is working on a video game console these days. Google has not made any comments on this so it may turn out to be innacurate information.

sonic, Jun 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. sonic

Biohazard

Ha I can see this making complications for Apple. The gambling community is HUGE, and the revenue Google could make from successfully creating a Next Gen console would allow them to spend more resources on outstanding phone upgrades that could blow the Iphone out of the wake. Google would be able to create a Smart Phone that is just as user friendly and sleek as the Iphone. Hell maybe Apple will attempt to make a game console as well.

Biohazard, Jun 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. sonic

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Oy vey.

Core, Jun 30, 2013
  4. sonic

airplayne

Though I subscribe to the school of "I will believe it when I sees it" this may be a cool thing to bring more competition to the industry. However, I may expect this to go about the same as how Facebook "announced" they were building their own phone.

airplayne, Jul 3, 2013
  5. sonic

adamsmith

I've also herd the same speculations through the news paper that the search engine major is working hard to develop a video game console .. are Microsoft and Sony aware with the fact

adamsmith, Jul 3, 2013
  6. sonic

airplayne

If the rumor is true, I would suspect that both Sony and Microsoft are absolutely aware of it. It just remains to be seen if the rumors are, in fact, true.

airplayne, Jul 3, 2013
  7. sonic

Denis

I hope it ain't true... we have enough of the Sony vs Microsoft war, we don't need new competitors.

Denis, Jul 8, 2013
  8. sonic

airplayne

I think more competition will be good for the industry. It could even drive the development of even more companies that develop just for the google console. More competition means more games, more games means more companies, more companies means more jobs. win/win/win.

airplayne, Jul 9, 2013
  9. sonic

crazycroc

I highly doubt this console will be anything like the Xbox or Playstation. If anything it would likely be more of a competitor to the Wii and targeted towards the casual gamer. This is because it will likely be based off of Android and run games like Angry birds and be advertising driven.

crazycroc, Jul 10, 2013
  10. sonic

Biohazard

Not to mention more competition puts pressure on developers to meet even the most bidding requests of it's consumers. Think if Sony wasn't an "at each others throat competitor," would Microsoft have taken it's network requirement out? The thought of Sony making more money an possibly taking over the gaming industry made Microsoft lower it's requirements in hopes of winning it's fans back.

Biohazard, Jul 15, 2013
  11. sonic

themarksquared

This is good news, I must say. Competition is always good for the consumers and the producers. In the point of view of the consumers, more competition gives them more options to choose which product they would buy. Thanks for sharing!

themarksquared, Jul 15, 2013
  12. sonic

CSX

I can't see Google bringing serious competition to the Big-3 though or any new console honestly. The 3 companies are already so established and control so much, I just can't see a 4th, guess we'll see how it pans out. It would be interesting to say the least.

CSX, Jul 30, 2013
  13. sonic

crane2

Should take a look at MobileTechReview & the review/report on the Nvidia Shield. Perhaps Google may be thinking about marketing a version under the Nexus brand(?). The console with a 5" display & a Tegra 4 chip is a full Android system that can connect/use Google Play, Mail, etc.

crane2, Aug 5, 2013
  14. sonic

wowtgp

I won't say that it's good. Literally everyone is trying to make a console these days. How can it be good for customers? I mean, if we want to play a particular game which is exclusive to a console, we will have to buy the console. I hate exclusives :(

But, I don't think that this rumor is true (at least I hope so).

wowtgp, Aug 6, 2013
  15. sonic

themarksquared

I get your point, more consoles = more exclusives = more money to spend. Nevertheless, I firmly believe that competition is always good for a business. In order for them to win over customers, they need to make better and more efficient products than the opponent.

themarksquared, Sep 4, 2013
  16. sonic

wowtgp

Yep, competition is good, but when the market is flooded with consoles, what would you do?

wowtgp, Sep 5, 2013
  17. sonic

themarksquared

Haha, I get what you're trying to say. It'll be really confusing for some, tbh. Fortunately for me, I have no plans of buying any consoles. The last gaming console that I bought was the PS1.

themarksquared, Sep 5, 2013
  18. sonic

wowtgp

You are not a console gamer at all, I reckon. Neither am I.

wowtgp, Sep 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question