Get Windows Media Center Pack for FREE! (Limited Time Only)

Discussion in 'Customization' started by Nibiru2012, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Windows 8 Pro Pack and Windows 8 Media Center Pack Terms and Conditions

Terms and conditions for Windows 8 Pro Pack promotion

Move from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center with the Windows 8 Pro Pack for $69.99 (estimated retail price) online or at your local participating retailer.

Promotion details
    The promotional price is limited to one license per PC and a maximum limit of five licenses per customer.
    This promotion is available beginning on October 26, 2012, and runs until January 31, 2013, inclusive.

Installation details
    Each license applies to only one PC and may only be installed on PCs that are running Windows 8.
    For more information about Windows 8, including system requirements, see Upgrade to Windows 8 FAQ. You should also visit your PC manufacturer’s website for more information, including any updated software and drivers.

Microsoft support
    The purchase of Windows 8 Pro Pack includes 90-days of no-charge support from Microsoft. The 90-day period begins after you install and activate Windows 8 Pro Pack. (Telephone or other access charges may apply.)

** Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available at no charge for a limited time only through the promotional page on Windows.com. If you obtain Windows 8 Media Center Pack through any other location, fees might apply. Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to one product key per email address. In addition, each product key can only be used with one computer. You qualify for this promotion if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro. Additional hardware may be required to watch and record live TV. You must provide a valid email address to receive your Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key. This promotion ends on January 31, 2013; your product key must be activated no later than February 1, 2013. Microsoft will only contact you at the email address you provide to send you your product key and to remind you when the activation period for your product key is ending. Catalysis Corporation is a third-party company we use to collect subscription information and process the delivery of these emails. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 pre-installed and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store.

Go to this link to enter your email and info to get a FREE Windows Media Center Activation Key and instructions on how to download and activation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

This is a GENUINE offer from Microsoft! ENJOY! :cool:

Nibiru2012, Nov 20, 2012
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Nibiru2012

Octagon

"The promotional price is limited to one license per PC and a maximum limit of five licenses per customer." - Maybe I am a bit dumb, but could somebody explain what is the point of having 2 licenses for one PC?

Octagon, Nov 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I realized it is a little confusing. The promo price is for the Window 8 Pro upgrade, the "five licenses per customer" means that individuals may only purchase a total of five keys for their own use.

Nibiru2012, Nov 22, 2012
  4. Nibiru2012

retiredat44

I bought 2 copies of Win8. I got one copy of the media center, with one e-mail address, and tried to get another copy for my other computer with the new Win8. The server refuses to allow me to get another copy even with another e-mail address! I contacted MS.. they in-turn, told me to contact another MS help website..
    Also, apparently, there is a forum already with lots people having the same problem for the last 3 months, of the website refusing to recognized requests from many e-mails..
    you would think that they would have fixed the problem after 3 months...
    why torture paying customers???? Is there soemone out there that can explain what is so screwed up and why they don't fix it? Spending hours searching for answers is just wrong... *sigh**

retiredat44, Jan 26, 2013
  5. Nibiru2012

Octagon

I am not sure, but I have a hypothesis. Microsoft goofed up with the free media center keys - it is possible to use them to make a pirated copy of Windows 8 licensed. My hypothesis is that they added some filters to make it harder to get these keys. Thus, I would recommend to try again in the least suspicious way: with your Microsoft Account email, a Windows 8 machine, and being logged in with the Microsoft Account. If that does not work, just wait for five days and buy a key for $10.

Octagon, Jan 26, 2013
  6. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Yeah there has been issues with it. I am going to uninstall mine today. Really no need for it.

Plus I have received two emails stating that I need to activate it again... WTH?

For audio and music files I use AIMP 3, for AVI, MPG, MKV, and other video files I use DOM Player, for DVD and Blu Ray I use Corel's WinDVD.

Nibiru2012, Jan 27, 2013
  7. Nibiru2012

retiredat44

This is a follow up, after I contacted M.S. support by both text chat and by phone.

I just puchased 2 copies of Win8. I went to that website, and it let me have one copy. I then tried, and tried with another e-mail account. it jsut gives me some canned repsonse saying to contact support.... I used the online cat and they referred me to call M.S. I called m.S. Today and tried to explain that it wil only give me one license, and I told them I bought two copies of Win8 for 2 computers, and need 2 copies of media center licenses. They told me, I needed to give them my Win8 key. I told them, the websites says just enter an e-mail address for each opy of the M.S. media Center for Win8. But, stopped working after the first license. I even tried a second computer, with another e-mail address, and it still does not work.

I searched the Internet, and apparently the website is broken and lots of people cannot get a key. Trying to explain tot he people over the phone is hell, and they think you need to give them your info about your win8 copy, before they will help. I explained the website only wants and e-mail address, and only one per e-mail address, and only up to 5 licenses. But, I only need 2, because I only purchased 2 Win8. For 2 computers.

Now I have been told I must enter the key codes by January 31, 2013, or they will not longer work.

Does anyone have a clue what M.S. is doing, if they know at customer service level what is going on, and if it will not work if entered after january 31, 2013 ? Do they understand their website is totally broken, and does not give out keys, or only gives one key, no matter haow many e-mails are tried? I don't think they understand, or they deliberatly sabotaged that website for the Win8 media center keys to keep from giving out to many licenses.

There is no way a huge computer software company can have this happen by accident. They have to know the website is not working as advertised.

btw, the lady at M.S. told me they will send a 2nd key to me, but I have to install and use it by Jan 31, 2013, or it will not work.

Also, trying to explain this by phone is hell, and much easier over text chat, where you can copy and paste dumb message like 'plase contact support...' when you type in the meail address the capcha b.s. and hit enter.

IMHO

retiredat44, Jan 27, 2013
  8. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I have to agree that MS has the proverbial F.U.B.A.R. on their hands here.

Windows Media Center is not really all that much when one starts looking at it's features. Definitely nowhere as flexible as the programs in my previous post.

Nibiru2012, Jan 29, 2013
  9. Nibiru2012

jubbly

I have just obtained my second free media centre key for my seconf windows 8 pro installation. It came to a second email address within 24 hours but this time I had to reactivate windows using the media centre key.

I also now have a permanent message on the bottom left of my desktop which says "Windows 8 Pro with Media Centre Build 9200".

So the have definitely altered something about the activation process.

jubbly, Jan 29, 2013
  10. Nibiru2012

davehc

I think, if you restart, you will find the watermark is gone.

davehc, Jan 29, 2013
  11. Nibiru2012

jubbly

Indeed you do, Dave. Thanks for that.

But it definitely didn't make me reactivate windows when I put the free media centre on my main machine. But it did on the laptop.

jubbly, Jan 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question