Frustrating mandatory reboots after updates...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GuyBall, May 17, 2013.

1. GuyBall

GuyBall

I mean what's the deal with this? Even with the teeniest of updates, it seems, requires a reboot. And no, it doesn't just update when I turn it back on, I have to go all the way through restarting the laptop manually rather than just boot after turning it off. This was far and between in Windows 7 IIRC.

Anyhow, had to turn off updates due to this annoyance. Anyone else find this bothersome?

GuyBall, May 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. GuyBall

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I've had less hassle with post-update reboots than I did on Windows 7. Then again, there aren't as many updates out yet. Windows isn't Linux... Having to reboot after a patch is just part of the glorious lifestyle.

Core, May 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. GuyBall

GuyBall

You mean you've had less frequent mandatory reboots on Windows 7 than on Windows 8? And I didn't get your remarks re: Linux, I don't regard neither superior to the other - both are fine OSes in their own ways. Does that imply linux lacks glory or anything?

GuyBall, May 19, 2013
  4. GuyBall

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

No. I've had less mandatory reboots with Windows 8 than I did with Windows 7. Less problems in general.

Linux doesn't "lack glory". I simply meant that whereas you can apply most updates to Linux without having to reboot, mandatory reboots are a staple of using Windows and always have been. Not a question of one being better than the other, just different systems.

Core, May 19, 2013
  5. GuyBall

GuyBall

Wow it must be just me, then. I've disabled updates anyways, since it's stable and I have no issues with it at the moment. And obviously Kaspersky should take care of the security side of things.

Yeah fair enough. Even upgrading linux (at least the ones I've used like Ubuntu) is a piece of cake. That's one part I hate about windows - migrating from an older version. Ugh. Once you're set, it's all smooth though.

GuyBall, May 19, 2013
  6. GuyBall

davehc

I would support Core's post. I have about 200 updates, since the original install. But this includes updates for Office, lync and visio, as well as the normal definition updates. The OS asks for a reboot from time to time, but this would be when it is needed to disable certain functions, before reinstalling the modified ones (drivers?..etc9 I have not noticed any increased activity over Windows 7 though. I have the updates set to notify me, but only fetch when I am ready for them.
    IMO. You could be missing some useful improved items by disabling updates altogether.

davehc, May 20, 2013
  7. GuyBall

rayzah

You would think by now windows would not require so many reboots. Threre has got to be a way to do these installs and updates without mandatory restarts.

rayzah, May 24, 2013
  8. GuyBall

GuyBall

Yeah I should probably just leave notifications on and just install critical updates. I hope they're not passing off bloat as critical updates since I really am not interested in wasting my time downloading essentially useless stuff that's unlikely to improve anything at system level.

Yeah agreed. I mean seriously, surely they must have figured out how inconvenient this is?

GuyBall, May 25, 2013
  9. GuyBall

Epicfied

I have a lot of issues with this as well... Also, mine likes to just reboot with updates without a warning.
    I've tried to go into settings and found nothing.

Epicfied, Jun 5, 2013
  10. GuyBall

Lokitns

I've never not gotten warnings. Perhaps something is effed with your OS install? Maybe try a repair install and see if that fixes things.

Lokitns, Jun 12, 2013
  11. GuyBall

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Since I got my Windows 8 machine, I was never forced to reboot. Yes, I had a lot of updates, but they just sat there in the background, accumulating together. Then, whenever I feel I have some spare time, I would do a reboot and let all the updates install in one go.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, Jun 24, 2013
    davehc likes this.
  12. GuyBall

adamsmith

the sort of problem many are facing here at this forum is quite strange as when any new update get installed in the system it always asks for a run instead of getting it downloaded on its own and if it's happening then seriously there is a problem with the setting ..

adamsmith, Jun 26, 2013
  13. GuyBall

RomanAnthonysMama

My computer doesn't always make me reboot after updating. It gives me an option. If I choose to do it later, then the next time I shut it off, it will go through the steps it needs to in order to update or complete the updates that it just preformed. I can understand why it needs to reboot afterward, but I agree, it can be a nuisance sometimes.

RomanAnthonysMama, Jul 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question