Free Win 8 Compatible Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Papo, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Papo

Papo

Taking Win 8 for a spin is great, but I like to stay away from using my licensed software with the OS. Instead, I try to use those Microsoft compatible "free" software and so far I have try a few that have worked for me, one of them being AbiWord http://www.abisource.com/download/. AbiWord works very similar to Microsoft Word and can be used to open and edit most Word documents.

I wonder if other members have tried other software that's compatible with Win 8. Most, if not all, Win 7 compatible programs should work with Win 8, but it'll be nice to create a listing here of those programs known to work without issues.

Papo, Sep 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Papo

scramball

So far I've not found anything that doesn't work in Windows 8, other than some obscure old database software I use which required compatibility mode enabled.

scramball, Sep 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Papo

Ace

Everything should be fine in Windows 8, compatibility is not an issue speaking from a programmers perspective. The only problem with programs like CCleaner, is that they need to know where certain files and data are stored in order to properly clean your system. One of the things that changes slightly from OS to OS is the registry, and that new arrangement needs to be recognized by the program as there are anomalies when you get used to one Windows OS and think it's the same for another.

Ace, Dec 16, 2011
  4. Papo

davehc

davehc, Dec 18, 2011
  5. Papo

Octagon

I have upgraded from Windows 7 to 8. The upgrader discovered that

- Alcohol52% will not run, and that means that W8 is NOT 100% compatible with 7 on the driver level
    - Security Essentials will not run because another version is built in, obvious
    - Paragon Backup 10 will not run - another sign of driver level incompatibilities
    - Windows Phone Emulator will not run. This is not good but I expect it to be fixed promptly.

I also discovered that

- HWiNFO32 forces Windows to reboot when it scans for sensors. Yet another low level incompatibility.

Thus, I guess something has been changed close to the iron and that is a good thing even if something does not run.

Octagon, Mar 5, 2012
  6. Papo

Papo

Papo, Mar 31, 2012
  7. Papo

Papo

Papo, Mar 31, 2012
  8. Papo

Papo

Papo, Apr 4, 2012
  9. Papo

Papo

Papo, Apr 5, 2012
  10. Papo

davehc

IMHO. One of the problems, with a thread such as this, is the unknown factor. Windows 8 has not been released yet. between now and RTM, as with previous OSs, there will be several changes. Software manufacturers are, hopefully, working to make their products compatible. Microsoft themselves, are adding to their compatibility list. By the time the OS hits the retail market, this thread will not only be redundant, but possibly misleading.

davehc, Apr 6, 2012
  11. Papo

Papo

That could be said about any other piece of software or OS, whether a new comer as Windows 8 or an established OS like Windows 7. For the most part, manufactures developed software and make changes along the way; some of those changes may be minor, while others may be a complete change to the program. So a piece of software you get today may be completely revamped within short months.

Generally, computer/software users like to know what’s new out there and I believe that’s what this thread does. The notion that we shouldn’t be learning about what’s new today because it may change tomorrow, at least to me, does not make sense. I believe readers on this forum understand that Windows 8 is in beta mode. They also understand that any software developed or compatible with Windows 8 today may or not work when the OS is finalized.

The fact that this thread has had over 891 views, probably more than any other thread on this forum, is proof that people want to know what’s new out there today…even if there are several changes by tomorrow.

Papo, Apr 6, 2012
  12. Papo

davehc

As I said, it was just an observation on my part. You could be correct. The number of viewers is odd. Maybe they were attracted by the thread title? (Again, my own opinion!)

davehc, Apr 7, 2012
  13. Papo

Papo

For the most part you are correct, new software will go through changes and some may even be scrapped by the time Windows 8 is released. But there's always programs that will last, even after another OS comes in the horizon. One of my favorites is AbiWord; I used this word processing program when Vista was first in its beta state and it still as compatible and useful today with Windows as it was then.

Papo, Apr 7, 2012
  14. Papo

Tchégéda

Hello, actually on Windows 8 I use, Open Office, Opera, Audacity, iTunes, Office 2010 "demo", Dexpot, Skype, 7 zip, Winzip "demo" and I have no problem with all this softwares.

Tchégéda, Apr 13, 2012
  15. Papo

Papo

Whether you travel, or not, having your bookmarks, emails, personal files and settings without a PC may be convenient and secure. PortableApps.com does just that; it allows you to “carry all your favorite apps on a portable device or cloud drive and use them on any PC”, including “your own browser with all your bookmarks and extensions, your full office suite, your photo editor, your whole music collection, your favorite games, your development tools and more”.

Use this link to find out more: PortableApps.com.

Papo, Apr 20, 2012
  16. Papo

Victor Leigh

I have used Abiword. It's good but it's only a word processor. If you want an alternative to Microsoft Office, try Libre Office. Libre Office has the full suite. It's good, too. Better than Open Office because it's smaller.

Victor Leigh, Apr 23, 2012
  17. Papo

Jake Horsfield

Thanks for letting us know about 'AbiWord'!

I've had a lot of problems with Open Office, and I can't seem to get it to work.

Once I get home I'm going to download it and try it out!

Jake Horsfield, Jul 25, 2012
  18. Papo

Victor Leigh

If you do a lot of your wordprocessing online, then you might consider trying Scribefire. It's an addon for Firefox and closely emulates the Wordpress wordprocessor. Actually from Scribefire, you can publish directly to your Wordpress or Blogger site.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
  19. Papo

Papo

EaseUS® Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition supports Windows 8, both the 32 and 64 Bit versions and it’s free for home users. Now, I posted about this software here before but I must tell you why I believe many of us shouldn’t do without it.

My hard drive is partitioned in two volumes, a C-drive where all programs, including the OS, are installed and an E-drive where all data is stored, i.e. My Documents, Pictures, Movies, Favorites, etc. I was writing a document on using Win 7 Disk Management to shrink a volume while using the built-in snipping toll to take screen shots of each step. To make the story short, I ended up deleting the whole E-drive partition in the process by mistake.

However, I’ve used EaseUS® Partition Master before to partition hard drives and knew that it supposedly had the ability to recover a deleted partition. So I downloaded the latest free version (EaseUS® Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition), installed it, ran it and just like magic the partitioned was recovered intact. In other words…it works.

Click here for download: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Papo, Oct 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question