Free Antivirus Solutions

Discussion in 'Security' started by DarkRepulser, Feb 23, 2013.

1. DarkRepulser

MyDigitalpoint

I used to love Avira since the times it was first released and called simply as AV free.

However overtime this antivirus became a heavy load and returning tons of false positive detection. I had to remove it and move to AVG Free that seems not to be so great.

Even though that poor experience with Avira happened while running XP, hence it might be worth install it again to see how it works with Windows 8, and hoping the problem with false positives have resolved with the latest release.

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. DarkRepulser

themarting

I still use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Its light, effective, unintrusive. Also its first party so you know its not going to infect you or start trying to sell you things instead of helping

themarting, Nov 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. DarkRepulser

MyDigitalpoint

I enabled Microsoft Security Essentials, but I don't really see what it does, or when it's running.

I don't see it loaded in memory nor anywhere, or maybe I don't know how to find it.

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 26, 2013
  4. DarkRepulser

davehc

To the previous two posters.

Was it a separate download and install? There is no Microsoft Security Essentials in windows 8/8.1, by default?
    Look in the modern, or in the Control Panel, for Windows Defender, which has replaced it.. You may find there are some configuration items there, which you would wish to customise.

davehc, Nov 27, 2013
  5. DarkRepulser

themarting

yea it was a seperate download. I may be wrong but it runs in the background. Also, anytime i download something which i dont fully trust, I right click and select "scan with miscrosoft security essentials"

I HAVE enabled real-time protection but i dont know if the program needs to be actively opened by me or if it runs in the background without me prompting it too. i hope its the latter

themarting, Nov 27, 2013
  6. DarkRepulser

davehc

I cannot really offer much help. I was under the impression that MSE could not even be installed on windows 8. Should you have it from an upgrade install, I don't think it works.
    Either way, it is totally unneeded, as it has been superseded by Window defender, the default security.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    davehc, Nov 27, 2013
  7. DarkRepulser

Black_Epiphany

Malwarebytes has consistently proven to be on point for me in the past. Can't go wrong with it. I've tried AVG, McAfee and Norton but they don't compare. I've been meaning to get around to looking at Bitdefender, as I've heard nothing but good things.

Black_Epiphany, Dec 1, 2013
  8. DarkRepulser

MyDigitalpoint

I finally made a decision to install Avira again and, to my surprise, it runs smoothly over Windows 8, and now includes the option to choose one out of the three levels of protection to reduce false positive detection.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 5, 2013
  9. DarkRepulser

Parth

You have AVG Antivirus, Avira Internet Security, and Microsoft Essentials. Those are the top three free antivirus solutions out there. The main tool I use is Malwarebytes, which I use to clean up the computer whenever it gets slow. Also ccleaner works wonders to speed up a computer.

Parth, Dec 7, 2013
  10. DarkRepulser

Parker

AVG + Malwarebytes = best free combo ever. It's amazing that some companies out there sell software that pale in comparison to both of these programs.

Parker, Jan 29, 2014
  11. DarkRepulser

NeroFerk

I kind of like the Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and it is made by the company who made the OS, so yea. It has worked for me for a long time.

NeroFerk, Feb 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question