Free Antivirus Solutions

Discussion in 'Security' started by DarkRepulser, Feb 23, 2013.

1. DarkRepulser

DarkRepulser

I have a list of free antivirus solutions if you're looking for additional protection for your Windows 8 system. While Windows 8 has excellent security measures already integrated, it doesn't hurt to put another on the front lines.

avast! Free Antivirus - currently the best FREE antivirus on the market.
    Avira Free Antivirus 2013 - alternative to avast!, great detection rates.
    AVG Free Antivirus - wouldn't really recommend, was kind of a resource hog. Pretty low detection rates too.
    MalwareBytes - use this if your computer is already infected! Best removal & repair tool out there!

I got the statistical information from reputable virus labs like AV-Test.org and West Coast Labs. avast! is definitely the best free antivirus on the market right now. So secure your Windows 8 today!

DarkRepulser, Feb 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. DarkRepulser

MedicAlert

MedicAlert, Mar 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. DarkRepulser

DarkRepulser

BitDefender is better than the ones I listed above, but it's definitely not free. I compiled this list as a measure for free system security, commercial system security is something else. But thanks for the share.

DarkRepulser, Mar 5, 2013
  4. DarkRepulser

Guardian

I switched over not too long ago and I've been using Comodo - http://www.comodo.com/

Seems to be doing well so far. Really restrictive and asks for permission for any executable that writes or modifies files.

Guardian, Mar 16, 2013
  5. DarkRepulser

Rylag

I always though AVG was the best. I guess not.

Rylag, Mar 23, 2013
  6. DarkRepulser

themarksquared

I personally believe that the best anti-virus is the one made by Microsoft called Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender. It's east to use, it's reliable, and it doesn't hog up your computer's resources.

themarksquared, May 16, 2013
    sleepyH22 likes this.
  7. DarkRepulser

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I would stay away from AVG and McAfee. If I were to pay, I'd use Symantec's corporate solutions (same great db as Norton but none of the fluff).

Mostly, though, on Windows I use MSE, Malwarebytes, and sometimes if people ask me for other recommendations I may suggest Avira.

The real problem is ultimately the user. My dad has antivirus solutions on all his machines, including Malwarebytes Free (no real-time protection), and he is frequently "infected" with crapware, because he or his grandkids download stuff from the web (free games) and just click OK when something pops up. Usually what he ends up with is a bunch of fake antivirus tools that keep nagging him to buy them. They don't register as malware, even though that is what they are.

Core, May 16, 2013
  8. DarkRepulser

chitownguypaulo

Does Microsoft Essentials work on Windows 8? It's been the best anti-virus for me. Since I got my Windows 7 laptop. I've tried all other anti-viruses before and nothing works as smooth as Microsoft Essentials. So, before I upgrade, just really wondering if my computer will be at risk?

chitownguypaulo, May 22, 2013
  9. DarkRepulser

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Microsoft Security Essentials is embedded in Windows 8 by default.
    With a new name, now called "Windows Defender"

Trouble, May 22, 2013
    sleepyH22 likes this.
  10. DarkRepulser

Gerritjan1989

Gerritjan1989, May 23, 2013
  11. DarkRepulser

Nuclear

MalwareBytes has to be one of the best once-infected malware/spyware programs. I once was infected with a nasty trojan that prevented me from opening any app, including Task Manager, so I couldn't kill any related processes. I booted up into Safe Mode in Windows and then ran MalwareBytes. Boom! All the Malware was gone. It was quite a stellar experience.

Nuclear, Jul 24, 2013
  12. DarkRepulser

RomanAnthonysMama

I absolutely LOVE AVG! I've kept them downloaded on my computer since I first heard about them in 2008. They're pretty efficient for a free anti-virus software. I went out and spent money on an anti-virus software a few months ago before realizing that my netbook has no CD drive! Very dumb of me, but at least my mom can make some use of it on her laptop.

RomanAnthonysMama, Jul 24, 2013
  13. DarkRepulser

TechKnow

I swear by Avast! and Malwarebyte combo. They make an excellent 1-2 punch when attacking viruses and malware. I love the boot-time features on both. It doesn't hurt that they're free, either, However, I am so impressed with there quality that I bought both and have renewed my subscription every year for the past three - going on four - years. I find Windows security a bit more than invasive; so, I'm grateful replace it with something robust yet controllable.

TechKnow, Aug 6, 2013
  14. DarkRepulser

vaibhav402

I personally like the AVG 2013 free versions. They do a great job of scanning your computer. It also has an Surf shield which helps you protect from any malicious websites. It also protects you against phishing websites via its email scanner. You may need a separate firewall application though because the free version does not come with a firewall. But it does a really good job for a free Anti virus.

vaibhav402, Aug 20, 2013
  15. DarkRepulser

David B

If you have Windows 8, is it okay to rely solely on Windows Defender?

David B, Aug 21, 2013
  16. DarkRepulser

davehc

Sorry to sound cynical, but, in the final analyses, no anti virus solution will work 100% for you. Best is to secure against attack., (Windows defender and thebuilt-in firewall do a good job) and then be a little careful as to where you spend your browsing time.

One good point, regarding Defender, is that, through the automatic updates, it delivers revised definitions a lot more promptly than many rivals.
    One thing I would be opposed to is actually spending money on antivirus solutions. The virus defense, which is the part which is usually offered free, is the basic, and needed, malware protection, The extras, for which you pay, are such things a, for example, s firewalls, which you already have and, if you use a router, probably have twice over.

davehc, Aug 22, 2013
  17. DarkRepulser

David B

I am not so naive that I would believe that any anti-virus software is unstoppable; I know that no such thing exists. My question was not about if Windows Defender would give me 100% protection, my question was if Windows Defender is enough without the need to get something else besides it.

David B, Aug 22, 2013
  18. DarkRepulser

davehc

I was contributing, mainly, to the thread, but I believe in an earlier post, and mine, your question was answered. I only have Defender, but periodically run a full scan with Malwarebytes. I have not yet had anything detected by Malwarebytes, afetr many months of use, and do, quite often, restore my installations from clean images.

davehc, Aug 23, 2013
  19. DarkRepulser

David B

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure if you were making a general contribution or talking to me. Sorry.

David B, Aug 23, 2013
  20. DarkRepulser

harshal360

Honestly, just use windows defender. If you are the average user you do not need anything else. Let say you are downloading files from suspicous authors then you should get a better antivirus. Out of all the free downloadable antiviruses I would say that avast has the best free one. Avast also has this nice voice alert. The only annoying thing about avast is that they are constantly notifying you with a very annoying alert sound which frustrates me bit. But, none the less it provides great security.

harshal360, Nov 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question