FLV Thumbnails in Windows 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1ssue, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 1ssue

1ssue

Hello all!

I'm new to Windows 8, but a long time MS-OS user :).

I have a collection of FLV files generated from my old phone, but when I browse my video folder there are no thumbnails generated for this file type. If I convert them to MPG or AVI then a preview thumbnail is generated.

Is there a way that I can enable thumbnail generation for this filetype?

1ssue, Feb 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. 1ssue

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the forums 1ssue! :)

There are a few ways to get thumbnails for FLVs (and other file types), but the easiest method is probably to install Icaros:

http://majorgeeks.com/Icaros_d7220.html

It's a free application which adds thumbnailing capability to loads of filetypes.

If you just want to add FLVs then you may be able to add a registry key (assuming you've got an FLV player already, such as "VLC Media Player"). I should add that I've only tested this in Windows 7 and not Windows 8 - but it should be the same. You can do this by creating a FLV.reg file in Notepad and saving the following information:

Then double-click the reg file to add this information to the registry. Please only use this 2nd method if you understand the risks of editing the Windows Registry.

Ian, Feb 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question