Finally Windows 8.1 ISOs

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Trouble, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

It seems that Microsoft finally decided to do something about all the folks out there without physical media on hand to either reinstall, repair or recover there Windows 8.1 installations.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

With Windows 10 on the horizon it's nice that they have at least stepped up to fix this short coming.
    Wonder if we can look forward to the same delay regarding installation media for Windows 10?

Trouble, Nov 10, 2014
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

Joker

Now I just wish this will work with OEM keys.:(

Joker, Nov 11, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

Ian Administrator

Hurrah! So easier now that they've done that :).

Ian, Nov 11, 2014
  4. Trouble

Do you have some recent experience that would lead you to believe that they will not work with an OEM key?
    My past experience with Windows 7 is that the retail ISOs do work with an OEM key but require phone activation with a call to Microsoft in order to activate properly.
    I have not attempted either an in place upgrade repair nor a clean install yet of Windows 8.1 with these ISOs when using an OEM product key. So any information you can provide with respect to this would be very helpful.

Trouble, Nov 11, 2014
  5. Trouble

Joker

I know that Windows 7 ISOs pretty much accept any valid key, be it any type of ISO. I will try and experiement with Windows 8 (My laptops OEM key is for Windows 8 Core) and see if that theory is true.

Joker, Nov 11, 2014
  6. Trouble

I don't actually have a theory.... as I've said, I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.
    I appreciate you making the effort to test it and very much look forward to your results.
    I do hope you protect against possible unintended consequences with a known good and current system image before going forward.

Trouble, Nov 11, 2014
    Joker likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question