Fighting with OEM Win 8 product Key Vs ISO!

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by mark bell, Mar 4, 2014.

1. mark bell

mark bell

I think I might have just posted this in the wrong section..sorry!

Hello to everyone..this is my first post!!
    Ive had a total drive failure on my Acer so I decided to upgraded to an SSD. I managed to find a Win 8 Enterprise ISO which has installed fine (no keys asked for during install) Its up and running as an evaluation. I have extracted the OEM product key from the BIOS but it will not activate the Enterprise version. I presume the OEM Acer install would be core? I can not for the life in me find a Core image.. My MSDN subscription ran out about 10 years ago!!

So does anyone know where I can get a legitimate image and also is the Win 8/8.1 version type stored in the BIOS as well or just the key? Or does anyone know the default OEM Win 8 version Acer / Asus / Toshibe use on their laptops (i.e. Core / Pro???)

Thank in advance!

mark bell, Mar 4, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. mark bell

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Trouble, Mar 4, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. mark bell

mark bell

Yes, thank you, these only work with retail keys and not OEM keys. Ive even called Microsoft but they put the onus on the laptop manufacturers as its an OEM version they dont support it. They told me to buy a retail or volume license (even though it has a legit OEM license)!! The only way around this is to download the Win 8 core iso (en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso) from "one of those sites" and then activate using the legit key in the BIOS. This is now working, but I have several others Win 8 laptops to refurb and its crazy to think I have to use this type of ISO to begin with. The image could be modified and even the hash key copied to look legit!!

mark bell, Mar 4, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question