Feedback on tips for windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by davehc, Sep 11, 2013.

1. davehc

davehc

I thought a thread should be started on this subject, rather than have chats and tips all over the site.

Here is on to start us off.

You have all done your homework, made your initial boot and, low and behold, you are still in metro, in spite of the promised blurbs?

Open the legacy desktop and right click the taskbar, then select properties. Here you will find a few startup options

Desk.png

davehc, Sep 11, 2013
    bassfisher6522, Ian and Trouble like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. davehc

davehc

I am using the metro screen as my start menu (fewer clicks needed to get to shortcuts). I ahave limited my icons to those I use frequently, but would like to expand it a little. So, the obvious choice was to change the icons to the smallest size. Unfortunately, if you do this, you will find you get the shrunken icons, but the text has gone.

I discovered a super little program which has solved the problem for me: Obly Tile

It is easy enough to use, but if you want to do the same as myself, it does mean using a graphics program and building your own icons. It darned hard work but I am progressing but slowly. Here is one of the examples I have made, so far:

word-64.png

davehc, Sep 11, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. davehc

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Thanks for the above David.
    The whole process for me has been a bit anticlimactic, but on the bright side I did get myself a shiny, spanking new, clean install out of the deal.... and who can't use one of those every year or so.

Trouble, Sep 11, 2013
  4. davehc

davehc

As anyone on this site, and others following Windows 8, well know, possibly to the point of boredom, I have been a strong supporter from the start. I must admit, now the dust has settled, that I feel I am looking at Windows 7 with minor code improvements, and a lot more eye candy. But, on the good side (for me!), whatever a users choice, desktop or Apps/Metro, I still don't regard it as a step backwards, and it will remain my primary OS.
    It has been commented too many times but, for the hell of it I'll say it again, in retrospect MS could have produced an SP for Windows 7, and stuck on the Metro for feedback. But they are obsessed with the periodical and routine compulsion to reinvent the OS every couple of years or so.

davehc, Sep 12, 2013
  5. davehc

Sugarhill

For your OblyTiles, there are plenty of sites that have a sets of Metro tiles ready to go, so you don't have to make too many. Also, for the sites that aren't pre-made, you just go to Google images, find the logo and save it as a JPEG, sometimes a little shrinkage is needed, but for the most part, just use that file and create a tile.

I do it all the time.

I have other questions about your OP, but I have to run, I'll be back.

If you need links to the sites with the tiles, let me know.

Sugarhill, Sep 12, 2013
  6. davehc

A nice article from HTG today regarding cleaning up your "All Apps" screen to make it a bit more useable.
    Read More Here.
    As always, use these types of useful hints with discretion and caution.
    With a well considered and optomized "Start Screen", I find myself in the "All Apps" screen very rarely but when I do it's convenient not to have the extra readme.txts, website links, and manuals that I seldom read which are often installed and associated with the program in the All Apps Screen.

Trouble, Sep 12, 2013
    Sugarhill likes this.
  7. davehc

Trouble, Sep 13, 2013
  8. davehc

davehc

You may have missed a portion of the context of my post, but, to reiterate, it was a matter of having text, clearly naming what the icon was for, in the smallest size of 8.1. At the moment, the text already with the icons disappears.
    You may have found a site better, but extensive browsing has not led me to any icons with a text description of the linked software item, firmly imbedded (As in my example)

davehc, Sep 14, 2013
  9. davehc

Sugarhill

Ah, I got you. For the most part, I don't want the title, so I like that OblyTile makes that optional. I like the rather famous icons for most of the sites that I have linked.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been here, there and everywhere and my internet is giving me a few issues.

Sugarhill, Sep 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question