Eyefinity issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brooksbank, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Brooksbank

Brooksbank

Running a ATI 5870 seems to be 2 issues with Eyefinity:
    1 - using the beta preview drivers I can create an eyefinity group, but after a reboot this is "lost" and has to be created every time
    2 - the resolution setting seems wrong; in "windowed" mode the res is correct at 5870*1920. In Metro it looks like the res is approx. half of this (Judging this from the size/number of tiles when not running eyefinity)

Brooksbank, Mar 9, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Brooksbank

Kemical

Hi Brooksbank,

a friend of mine is having the same issue of having to create the EI group every reboot, I'll see him later and ask if he found a solution. Just as a thought though, is it possible to create a 'profile' that will run every boot?

Kemical, Mar 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Brooksbank

Brooksbank

A good idea, the second issue though as led me to uninstall on my desktop and just use 8 on my Laptop. Having metro apps running at such a low res makes them pretty much unusable. I would hazard a guess its more an issue with 8 than the ATI drivers as "Windowed" mode is fine.
    Ill keep my eyeout for updates/news and reinstall when this is resolved.

Brooksbank, Mar 14, 2012
  4. Brooksbank

Brooksbank

Some further reading has revealed whats happening here...this is actually deliberate and I suspect will not change, thus for Eyefinity users 8 is NOT going to be useable...Its all to do with DPI scaling.
    Unlike previous versions of windows 8 scales the Metro UI according to DPI. Simplist way of explaining this is imagine a 10 inch touch screen running at 1920x1080...the UI would be incredibly small not only to read by to control by touch would be troublesome. To counter this problem 8 will scale the metro UI up thus making it larger on this screen.
    However the problem seems to be that 8 doesn't recognise the fact that I am using 3 x 24'' monitors and still scales the Metro UI as my resolution is 5760x1080

I have created a number of screenshots to illustrate this problem seen below, the first in each series is taken with eyefinity disabled, the second enabled:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the case of the metro UI under eyefinity it halves the number of rows for the metro tiles, and on a 24'' monitor you are seeing the same number of rows you would see on a 10'' tablet.

Even worse than the effect on the metro ui, is what is seen when running metro apps, seen below is an example, again non-eyefinity followed by eyefinity
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see above under eyefinity a much smaller vertical height of the same web page is seen, not only does this look incredibly ugly but in terms of function it makes all Metro apps unusable on an eyefinity setup.

A simple solution as I see it is an option to disable this scaling, presenting the Metro UI at the same height as seen in the 1920x1080 setups simply with three times the width (as it is in windows 7).

A large part of the attraction in my case to 8, and the probably purchase of a tablet running 8 on its release is its synergy with my windows phone and my desktop (assuming being upgraded to 8), the fact that as it stands 8 is unusable on my desktop removes a large part of my incentive to not only upgrade my desktop but to choose a tablet running 8. I spent a fair sum of money putting a system together capable of running eyefinity, and will certainly not purchase a copy of 8 simply to be forced to run it in "windowed" mode due to this issue.

In summary I really hope that this issue is solved in the RC, my concern is that this is not a bug as such but seems to be intentional on the part of Microsoft.

Brooksbank, Apr 11, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question