Everything Virtualized Or Sandboxed In W8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yodap, Jul 26, 2010.

1. yodap

yodap

yodap, Jul 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. yodap

Mychael

The reality will most likely be the way all computing goes but you know, for me it does not interest me.
    I always thought I was a technology fan (grew up watching Sci-Fi and the like) but I've come to realize that it's really the old style computing the interests me.
    When I was a computer Operator on a huge mainframe installation for the government I loved it but once we moved to terminals in offices and the huge room with all the hardware got retired I lost interest.

It'll be the same with home computing, sure I want stuff to "just work" & do what I want but I think it will become a tool for the home, same as the TV and stereo, I'll use it but it wont be a hobby anymore and forums about computers will become a thing of the past.

Mychael, Jul 31, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. yodap

catilley1092

I think that it's a great idea, if only they (MS) can pull it off. VM's are nothing new to me, I've had Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode for a while now, and it's improving more and more. And I agree, you're far more secure, and it would cripple the AV industry, which won't hurt my feelings a bit.

Running VM's is not new, it's now, and hopefully be even more so in the future. Times change, and we must change with them.

But one thing that wont change is that a computer still has parts, you can't virtualize that. If building computers is your hobby, you'll continue to have one.

Cat

catilley1092, Sep 22, 2010
  4. yodap

Mychael

If they ever go full cloud computing and your home computer becomes little more then a terminal then there wont be very many parts any more. All data will be on the cloud so you won't even need HDD any more. Probably just a super duper processor/CPU/GPU.

Mychael, Sep 23, 2010
  5. yodap

WindowsGeek

Now Cloud... Cloud, my friend, would eliminate the "offline" use environment. As such, I don't see cloud coming around for mainstream home computing for another 20-30 years, as new infrastructure is needed. Also, the idea of "remote" shivers my spine when it comes to the idea of gaming and performance computing - if your storage isn't local and bandwidth resembles the rush hour traffic in Los Angeles, that sounds like a recipe for some lag. On the other hand, it seems like ├╝ber amounts of RAM could solve this problem... Maybe...

WindowsGeek, Sep 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question