Everything keeps crashing after clean install

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by brkkab123, Dec 21, 2012.

1. brkkab123

brkkab123

I did a clean install of Windows 8 Pro w/Windows Media Center x64 on Sunday. I have all my software and games installed and updated. Now Windows keeps crashing no matter what I do. I have a feeling it's on of the patch Tuesday updates causing this. No sooner after I post this anything to do with explorer will crash. This has been going on since Windows installed a update on Tuesday.

brkkab123, Dec 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. brkkab123

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Post a minidump and we'll see what we can see.

Core, Dec 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. brkkab123

brkkab123

Can't remember which folder they're in. Haven't had anu bsod's, so I don't think there would be any.

brkkab123, Dec 21, 2012
  4. brkkab123

Nibiru2012 Moderator

How did you install your drivers? Did you install them in the proper sequence?

You may perhaps have read my tutorial at the Windows 7 forum where I list the correct sequence of installing Intel and their related chipset drivers. Believe me it truly does make a difference.

Have you checked to ensure that all SATA cables are snugly fastened on the motherboard and drive sockets? Sometimes even a slight bump or nudge will wiggle the SATA connector enough to cause issues. Is your RAM firmly seated?

Did you do anything different during this install?

You need to be more specific about the issues you're having. You state that it "keeps crashing", well if it crashes which is usually a BSOD. You're not getting those you replied to Core. What is actually happening?

I don't believe that a Windows 8 update 'patch' would cause the issues you're having.

Nibiru2012, Dec 22, 2012
  5. brkkab123

crane2

Don't think that the drivers install sequence in some cases like the "driver power failure state" that kept happening to me every 1/2 hr to 2 hr. The "last crash" produced a minidump of "0" bytes; this got me to start from scratch. Reformatted the drive, installed win8 & started to get the crashes of "driver power failure state" & I haven't even installed the Intel stuff on my MSI z77a-gd65. After the 3rd crash where I still haven't configured the system, eg personalizing, etc. or installed the Intel except for whatever m$ did to add them; it's all pure m$ win8. I decided to goback to win7.

Had read onetime about don't upgrade to the even numbered upgrades, just do the odd numbered upgrades. Let's see, xp is ver 5, vista is 6, win7 is 7, win8 is 8.....makes sense to wait for win9.

crane2, Dec 22, 2012
  6. brkkab123

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Windows Vista was version 6, 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 is 6.2.

Core, Dec 22, 2012
  7. brkkab123

brkkab123

No, I didn't do anything differently with installation. I have all personal files on one of my WD Caviar Black 1.0 TB. drives. Games are on the 2nd WD Caviar drive. Thus, I do a full clean install of 8 on ssd. Then I make a Games folder in C:\Program Files 9x86) and open Disk Management and remove that drive lwtter and point the drive to the games folder and then let drivw management reletter it to be E:. That's all done after formatting the drive in Windows after all Windows updates and driver;s are installed. Then I install and update all games st and then update them. Then I install my other software and update it. I then install Ad-Muncher, Malwarebytes free, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional (Real-Time turned off) and Norton Internet Security 2013. I update each and reboot pc. I then run full scans with each in regular and safe mode. Then I fo after my Firefox addons and about:config tweaks and repeat the malware scans.Basically anything on the desktop freezes up after 2 programs have been run and it doesn't matter which 2 they are. It does it whether I update security software, open Outlook 2010, Word 2012 or any other combination of 2 programs opened and closed back to back. My pc is AMD based, so would anything Intel apply to it? My drivers for my ssd/hdds are AMD.

brkkab123, Dec 22, 2012
  8. brkkab123

crane2

Thanks. The even/odd numbering still applies tho.

crane2, Dec 22, 2012
  9. brkkab123

crane2

I think that it is just that your system is "complicated" as it has 3 drives; my own system has 3 internal hdd & 1 usb3 hdd & so constant driver crashes.

Then my laptop is less "complicated" & has been OK but the laptop is mostly used connect to the web & view anime on TV which means it doesn't get a workout.

crane2, Dec 22, 2012
  10. brkkab123

brkkab123

Here are 3 screenshots of all Office 2012/Windows Updates,etc. I have installed. PC locked up after last post again.

Attached Files:

• WU.PNG
      WU.PNG
      File size:
      479.3 KB
      Views:
    • WU1.zip
      File size:
      74.1 KB
      Views:
    • WU2.zip
      File size:
      18.5 KB
      Views:
    brkkab123, Dec 22, 2012
  11. brkkab123

brkkab123

Here are copies of benchmarks.

Attached Files:

brkkab123, Dec 22, 2012
  12. brkkab123

brkkab123

Here's a msinfo32 of my pc.

Attached Files:

brkkab123, Dec 23, 2012
  13. brkkab123

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Well I use one internal 128 GB SSD for boot and programs and then use two 500 GB HDD by Samsung for photos, documents, video and audio files, etc. I have no driver issues at all.

As I have pointed out on this and the Windows 7 forums, if the chipset drivers are not installed properly and in the proper sequence, then driver issues will pop up.

Your AS SSD & ATTO disk benchmarks look okay to me. Does your SSD have the latest firmware? Did you provision your SSD? This means you leave a certain percentage of the SSD blank and
    unpartitioned.

I personally believe the main issue is putting games on another drive rather than the C drive. Especially spinner hard drives, compared to an SSD they're quite slow.

From what you stated above, you said you did Windows updates first then driver installs. You need to install all pertinent drivers as soon as possible after the clean install of Windows 8 is finished. Turn off your internet connection while doing the driver installs to avoid any bottlenecks.

Nibiru2012, Dec 23, 2012
  14. brkkab123

naturecannon

Whats up old friend? Glad to see your well versed in the SSD Topics these days :p.

Take care Nibs!!

naturecannon, Dec 23, 2012
  15. brkkab123

Nibiru2012 Moderator

NC! Whad up dog?! LOL! :eek:

Keep in touch and you're most certainly welcome here at this forum website!! ;)

Good to hear from you, another member from the ol' forum is here too, DRFP. That country doctor down in Georgia... I believe.

I am positive you'll have many great contributions to make to this website!

~Nibs :cool:

Nibiru2012, Dec 23, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question