Every program and apps are frequently not responding (random freezes)

Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by Mrestermooster, May 25, 2014.

1. Mrestermooster

Mrestermooster

I'm getting frustrated to the teeth trying to fix this problem with my laptop. It's a relatively new laptop as well (only a year old). Basically every app i open, every little things i do, would end up being unresponsive for up to a minute, then it would work for a few seconds and freeze again. I cant surf the web, play games, or even go to the start menu without everything freezing on me. Heck, typing a 3 letter word would take an eternity.

I've done a ton of research and did everything i can think of to fix this issue. I've refreshed my windows not once, or twice, but THREE times and this problem persists. After the refresh everything would go smoothly for a day then everything gets progressively unreponsive. I've also booted in safe mode and ran both malwarebytes and superantispyware. The scans ended with a few threats and ive quarantined and deleted every malware. Next thing i did was doing the sfc /scannow in command prompt. It detected some corrupted files and successfuly fixed it yet the problem still persists. My last hope was upgrading to windows 8.1 but alas, but even that didnt do the job. Everything is not responding and its driving me nuts.

Please, someone out there, give me guidance. Thank you.

P. S im typing this with my phone.

Mrestermooster, May 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Mrestermooster

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Some specifications regarding the actual computer you have might be helpful.
    Manufacturer, Model Name and Number, CPU specs, Memory, etc.
    If you're not sure of some of the detail you can use something like the free version of this http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download to obtain a lot of the data.

Trouble, May 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Mrestermooster

Mrestermooster

Hi, sorry for the late reply - I was asleep.

Anyways, here are my system specs:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Model: K46CM
    BIOS: K46CM.311
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3517U CPU @ 1.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8078MB RAM
    Page File: 4376MB used, 5620MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

By the way, everything seems to be running smoothly only when in safe mode. I can surf the web fine and open any program without problems. But when i go back to normal boot everything starts to become unresponsive.

P.S. I've uploaded my DxDiag file just in case you need additional info. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

Mrestermooster, May 25, 2014
  4. Mrestermooster

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

When you have a problem with your computer, when booting into normal mode, and the problem does not follow you into a safe mode boot, it's likely that you'll need to use something called a "clean boot" to sort through the problem and discover the actual culprit(s).
    Explained here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Trouble, May 26, 2014
  5. Mrestermooster

Mrestermooster

That seems like a very long and tedious process. Thing is, sometimes the freezes/unresponsiveness don't occur much until around 2 hours of usage (its definitely not caused by overheating though ). So checking and unchecking services then restarting would take hours just to see the results. Honestly it would be faster to do a clean reinstall of windows, but i dont really want to do that just now.

Mrestermooster, May 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question