Edit the Power Menu

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by davehc, Mar 28, 2012.

1. davehc

davehc

There have been attempts to edit this menu but, so far, the success has not been 100%. Now, the controlling .dll file has been found, so we have full control!
    Here is an outline, with all that is needed, to do it.

NOTE: A small mistake while modifying a system file, can cause a broken OS. make a back up, or some system of recovering the OS, before proceeding!
    I have tried this on my 64-bit Windows 8. I do not have the 32-BIt loaded but it should work.
    It seems that Windows 8 does a hash check on all shortcuts present in "Win+X" menu each time you start Windows. If you try to modify a shortcut, when you restart, Windows naturally does the check again and automatically removes
    the shortcut from the menu.
    So it is neccessary to disable the hash check, by modifying a system file. This system file is the "twinui.dll"
    present in "C:\Windows\System32" folder.
    I have attached a link to the patched system file for "twinui.dll", for 64-bit systems. (The default "twinui.dll" file in
    Windows 8 system has version number 6.2.8250.0. If you have installed a recently released update, you might have a
    new version of DLL file which is 6.2.8250.107. To be sure, right click the file - properties - "Details" tab)
    Both versions are included in the attachment.

To replace the file, you will need to take ownership of it .I think most know, by now, how to do this. But for
    the "newbies" to this experience, I have enclosed the "Take Ownership" file as well. Run the reg, and you will then
    find that, when you right click a file, it will have an option to "take ownership"

Once you take ownership and full control on the file, rename the file to some other name, .I would suggest
    twinui2.dll - you will find this easier to change back if things go wrong!
    Now copy the new "twinui.dll", file and paste it in "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.
    Restart your system.
    Now, for those who have not already experimented, this is where, and how, you go to do it.

This is a hidden folder, so make sure you have "unhidden folders in the tools view first.
    C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

You will see three sub-folders under it:
    Group1
    Group2
    Group3
    Be careful!
    You can remove any unwanted shortcuts here. There are several ways to create new shortcuts. My chosen
    method is to go, in Windows explorer, to the actual .exe and right click and drag, and then select "create
    shortcut". I then rename to whatever I choose.

The complete file(s) are too large to attach, so I have uploaded it to my hoster. Rather slow, I'm afraid. Hope it works for you!

http://www.filefactory.com/file/6vlhpoisctcx/n/sc.zip

Note. I have packaged this for our members. But tribute is to a user on this site:
    http://www.askvg.com/exclusive-how-...in-quick-access-menu-win-x-menu-of-windows-8/

davehc, Mar 28, 2012
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. davehc

davehc

I have now been playing with this. One of my grievances with Metro (so far), was that I could not have my .exes in folders, as has been my custom since Windows XP.
    Using the method in my previous post, I now have done it. The Power menu is exactly like the previous menus. Instead of a left click on the Start button, I now right click and get the same thing. In the picture are my folders, which open to my known .exes. So I don't have the much talked about Start orb.
    On the top, I have put a small selection of programs I like to open quickly.

Attached Files:

• menu.png
      menu.png
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
    davehc, Mar 29, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. davehc

Ian Administrator

A very handy tip! I've not done much in-depth modification of Windows 8, so I should probably give this a go and start to customise it. Should make it much easier for me to launch some utilities like Notepad and so on :).

Ian, Mar 29, 2012
  4. davehc

davehc

I am still fond of the Windows Vista start menu, but am trying to find ways within Windows 8, to make it work for me.

davehc, Mar 29, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question