DVD drive disappears after Win8 install

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by antstubell, Sep 15, 2011.

1. antstubell

antstubell

Completed the install from a usb stick and DVD drive does not appear in My Computer, Device Manager or Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage. Only my 2 HDDs are shown. DVD drive is shown in BIOS and it has been previously used with XP and 7. Any insight appreciated.

antstubell, Sep 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. antstubell

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the forums antstubell! :)

Very strange that it doesn't even appear in Device manager but is shown during POST.

In device manager can you go to view > show hidden devices then click the "scan for hardware changes" icon (should be the last icon) and see if anything turns up. Are there any unknown hardware items appearing?

Ian, Sep 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. antstubell

antstubell

I did what you suggested and it still doesn't appear. I have no listed 'unknown devices'. I Googled this and I am not alone, 2 other people have reprted the same "disappearing dvd/cd drive' phenomenon

antstubell, Sep 15, 2011
  4. antstubell

antstubell

On a similar note many people have reported that 8 doesn't contain drivers for dvd/cd so if you do a clean install (booting from a disc or usb) an error appears saying no drivers found for ths device. On the other hand if you do an install from within Xp.Vista or 7 seems this problem doesn't occur as drivers are more than likely carried over. Just a thought, still doesn't explain why 8 can't see this connected drive but as sonn as I pop in a usb pen there is no problem.

antstubell, Sep 15, 2011
  5. antstubell

Elmer BeFuddled

An off the cuff thought. Is there an option, as there is in Win 7 to 'hide empty drives in the computer folder'?

(Under Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab).

Elmer BeFuddled, Sep 16, 2011
  6. antstubell

davehc

There is, Elmer, I have not had any problems seeing my ancient DVD drive, but if I select Hide empty drives, it still shows. Quite the opposite from what the OP is experiencing. I can only suggest a driver update.

davehc, Sep 16, 2011
  7. antstubell

antstubell

Tried that Elmer drive still doesn't show. Only drivers available for this LG DVD burner are firmware drivers and firmware drivers cannot be used if drive is not seen by windows.
    I have an idea of reinstalling the OS but this time from disc and see what happens. Can't hurt none can it?

UPDATE - Did the clean install from disc. all went as normal but still no DVD drive. Oh well have to wait and see if this problem is addressed in later builds.

antstubell, Sep 16, 2011
  8. antstubell

Papo

If I remember correctly, the issue with the CD/DVD drive drivers was common with Vista when it first came out. You can try finding and running a Win XP driver...it may work.

Papo, Sep 19, 2011
  9. antstubell

antstubell

The drive uses a windows driver (according to manufacturers manual) so it is generic strange I can use drive to install the OS but after install it loses the drive. Build 8102

antstubell, Sep 19, 2011
  10. antstubell

Papo

Papo, Sep 20, 2011
  11. antstubell

antstubell

Thanks for the reply but there is no driver specifically for this hardware. LG doesn' supply a driver for its drives because Windows uses generic drivers. It makes no sense that when installing a driver is obviously needed but after install it disappears. Takes me back to Win95 days when a driver was required for a cdrom drive. Hoping MS will sort this soon as it makes no sense for the OS to lose a device that it used to install itself. Maybe the OS is just aimed at netbooks which don't have an optical drive and hence don't require drivers.
    P.S. Also a pain in the rear to move files using USB stick from 1 machine to another. BUT it does detect my metwork drive.....very strange.

antstubell, Sep 20, 2011
  12. antstubell

DSTM

Have you installed the Microsoft Windows 8 developer preview updates?

DSTM, Sep 20, 2011
  13. antstubell

Papo

When I first installed Win 8 on my Archos, I did it during boot up, which doesn't ask if one wants to go online and check for updates. After the installation was completed I had to manually install the drivers, touch screen and virtual keyboard to be exact.The second time around, I installed it within Windows...Windows 7. This time around since Win 8 detected an internet connection I chose to connect online during installation. This time around Win 8 installed all drivers automatically. Now, there's the possibility that in the second attempt Win 8 transferred the drivers from Win 7 and not through a download, but it's worth a try. Perhaps, in this situation, installing Win 8 within Windows may solve the DVD "disappearance act".

Papo, Sep 21, 2011
  14. antstubell

antstubell

Literally did a hard install of dvd burner, unplugged it and re-plugged it while PC was on, still no pop-up saying found new hardware but as normal put in usb stick and hey presto it found it. It finds my network drive without a hitch, it find all the PCs connected to my network but not the drive that was used to insall itself! Really at a loss now.
    BIOS can see the drive and has a driver to use the drive hence I have Win8 installed. Where does this driver go after install finishes?

antstubell, Sep 24, 2011
  15. antstubell

Jeff S

My scenario : Windows 8 installed. I have been using it for about a month. Tried to install a game that was made for windows 7, and BAM. Cdrom drive is gone, and game didn't finish installing.

I tried the registry add "reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001" but that didn't seem to work. I checked my bios and everything was the same.

The next step was I opened the file explorer, right clicked my computer, and clicked on manage. In there I went to storage, and then I saw my drive!! but I had that window open beside the file explorer and it isn't showing it in there. I changed the drive letters a couple times, then put my cd in the drive, and ran it from that menu, and it worked.

Don't ask me why.
    Maybe it will help you.

Jeff S, Dec 28, 2012
  16. antstubell

Nibiru2012 Moderator

Did you try doing a reboot after the reg.exe add setup was finished?

Download a program named "adaptec UDF reader driver" from this link: Adaptec UDF Reader Driver

This program can recover the missing DVD drive when you install it, if your DVD drive is not shown then it says for you to reboot your system then after reboot you should have your dvd drive back.

Nibiru2012, Dec 28, 2012
  17. antstubell

TJS3

Try going into "Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management" and see if it is listed there. If it is, you may have to assign a drive letter to it. I had to do this with one of my hard drives.

TJS3, Dec 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question