Dual Booting

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Papo, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Papo

Papo

If you have one computer and want to try Win 8, you should consider dual booting. Just follow these easy steps:

1. Download Win 8
    2. Create a new partition on your hard drive (I recommend “free" EaseUS Partition Manager home edition - http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm )
    3. Install Win 8 on the new partition
    4. On first boot up you’ll get to choose your default OS...note that your default is Win 8. If you want another OS to be your default, click the "Change Defaults or Choose Other Options" button and then the "Choose the Default Operating System" button and select your OS, i.e. Win 7.

Papo, Sep 19, 2011
    clifford likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Papo

clifford (c_c)

If you don't want Windows 8 changing system files so that you can quickly return to your normal OS, make the new partition active before you install Windows 8. This will insure that Windows 8 will install its own system files on the newly created active partition without making any changes to the OS boot files you currently use. If you ever decide you want to remove Windows 8, simply switch back the active partition to your current OS and then you will be free to delete the Windows 8 partition.

clifford, Sep 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Papo

Papo

I tested dual-booting Win 8 with Win 7 for a few days. Today, I just un-installed Win 8 by simply deleting the Win 8 partition.

Here’s how:

Boot to Win 7 > Click the Start button > Right-click Computer and select Manage > Click “Disk Management” under Storage > Right-click the drive where Win 8 is installed and select Delete Volume

Once the volume has been deleted, you can choose to create a new partition or even extend your “C” drive.

Now restart your computer and it should boot to Win 7 without any issues.

Papo, Sep 21, 2011
  4. Papo

clifford (c_c)

I can see that working fine for Windows Vista or Windows 7. There are a few that may be coming from XP and that process wouldn't completely return XP back to normal.

clifford, Sep 21, 2011
  5. Papo

Papo

I has been a while since I dual-booted with Win XP, maybe when Vista first came out. Anyways, one needs a copy of Win XP to use the repair console and launch “fixmbr"...that should do it.

Papo, Sep 21, 2011
  6. Papo

timflan

Hi. I downloaded the Win8 file from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/consumer-preview. I want to install on a new partition. How do I select where I want to install it? I tried running from C: to install on new partition F:, but the setup said to copy to a dvd or flash drive in order to install on a different partition, which I did. Running the setup from flash drive never gives me the choice to choose where I want to install to. Hmmm... any help is appreciated

timflan, Feb 29, 2012
  7. Papo

Papo

You must boot from either the DVD or USB flash drive. That will give you the option to do an upgrade or custom install. Select custom installation. Note you'll need the serial number you received before it proceeds with the setup.

Papo, Mar 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question