Dual booting Windows 8 and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Chris Davies, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Chris Davies

Chris Davies

I have a dual boot system with windows 8 for myself and windows 7 for my partners work. I would like to install windows XP onto this system for a few of my older games.

Is this possible and how do I go about it?

Both current operating systems run on different hard drives and I have a spare hard drive into which I hope to install Windows XP.

Many thanks in anticipation

Chris Davies, Mar 6, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Chris Davies

gadgetised

Dual booting is a pretty simple process. You need to partition your hard drive, then install the two operating systems. Usually you will need a bootloader of some sort as well. A quick google will get you your answers.

gadgetised, Mar 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Chris Davies

bassfisher6522

Yes it's possible....called a triple boot. It will work as long as you have a valid copy of XP and a legit product key (retail key not an OEM key). That's the way I do it....all separate drives for my 7, 8 and 8.1 set up. Then I just use the F12 key, when booting up to select what OS I want to use at the time.

bassfisher6522, Mar 9, 2014
  4. Chris Davies

Chris Davies

Many thanks for your replies.

bassfisher6522 how do i install windows xp.. I have a hard drive partition to install xp.

I do have legit product key.

Thanks again

Chris Davies, Mar 11, 2014
  5. Chris Davies

bassfisher6522

I'm confused; you have a HDD or a partition ready to install XP on. A HDD is the physical drive...a partition is a virtual drive that's created on the physical drive. So which one do you have.

Like I stated..I have individual HDD's for all my OS....3 HDD's for 3 OS's for my desktop....On my laptop I have a dual boot. I have 1 physical HDD, then I created a partition on it, so the C drive is 250 GB and E drive also 250 GB, my D drive is the CD/DVD drive.

bassfisher6522, Mar 11, 2014
  6. Chris Davies

Chris Davies

Sorry I have a free separate hard drive onto which i hope to install XP

Many thanks

Chris Davies, Mar 12, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question