Dual Boot Issue : Upgraded Cloned Win7 to Win8

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Hairy Scot, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

I cloned my Windows 7 Pro X64 system to another HDD then upgraded the cloned system to Windows 8 Pro.
    As a result both Win7 and Win8 have the same Boot Manager Data, so I currently use the BIOS alternate boot option to select which system to boot.
    Have tried a number of "solutions" so far, but all have gone pear-shaped and each time I've had to recover both systems because these solutions have resulted in subsequent problems with booting up either system.
    Have used "BCDEDIT /ENUM /V" to list the data from both systems and included that in the attached files.

Would welcome a safe solution that would remove the need to go via the bios options.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Hairy Scot, Jan 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

Eventually gave up on this and did a fresh install of both Win8 and Win7.

Hairy Scot, Feb 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Hairy Scot

Kougar Moderator

You basically have two options... The first one is to install the older OS first, then install the newer OS second. The newer OS will modify the original bootloader data so both operating systems can dual boot properly. This option will always bring up a boot option menu asking which OS you want to start.

The second option is to physically disconnect the older OS drive from the computer, THEN install (or upgrade) over your cloned OS. When finished then reconnect the drive. This way it cannot modify the boot loader configuration on the disconnected drive, but in doing so the only way to select which OS to boot to will involve modifying the boot device.

Kougar, Feb 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question