drops connection

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by ronnieh, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ronnieh

ronnieh

Greetings,
    Sometime after my PC goes to sleep it drops the DSL internet connection. When the start screen comes up the network icon is Xed out,then it reconnects itself in a few seconds. No BIG deal but I'm wondering if there's a setting somewhere causing this.
    TIA
    Ronnie

ronnieh, Mar 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. ronnieh

davehc

You could look here:
    Control Pane - Device manager - Network Adapters.
    Right click your adapter and select properties.
    Click the "Power management" tab
    UNtick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
    OK out of the windows.

davehc, Mar 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. ronnieh

ronnieh

Made that change. This morning the network was up but internet was off. Took about 30 seconds to come up.

ronnieh, Mar 20, 2012
  4. ronnieh

maddox

What is your configuration? Are you connecting to a wireless router, wired router, USB modem, string? ;)

maddox, Mar 25, 2012
  5. ronnieh

ronnieh

Wired Router.

ronnieh, Mar 26, 2012
  6. ronnieh

Ian Administrator

My first thought was the same as davehc, but if that failed to fix it and you noticed that the network was still active on resume (but the connection was down), then can you take a look at the router logs. Can you see if it mentions anything about either the internet connection dropping or a network connection dropping from the PC.

Ian, Mar 27, 2012
  7. ronnieh

ronnieh

Thanks for the replies.Dropped connection was a onetime occurrence.
    Had an interesting development when I "refreshed" PC to fix the solitaire app.Using 2 hard drives-1 for Win7 and Win8 on the other.After refreshing Win8, Win7 disappeared from the boot menu. Thankfully booting from Win7 dvd and selecting repair fixed it,but what if I hadn't had a disc?
    Refreshing removed Windows Live Mail along with everything that didn't come from the app store.

ronnieh, Mar 28, 2012
  8. ronnieh

davehc

It will be interesting to see you furure feedback on this. I have installed, and uninstalled, windows 8 in every conceivable way. By doing it the way you have followed, as I understand it, will mean that you have replaced the Windows 8 MBR, with the Windows 7 one. Whenever I have attempted this, by the same, or alternative means (an image , for example) I have had a situation where, when seelcting Windows 7 on boot, I have had constant reported disk errors (of which there were none) and disk scanning has been requested. No such problem if I selct Windows 8. I have had long dicscussions on the Technet forums regarding this. It seems that it happens to some, but not all. Hopefully MS will trach down what combination of hardware causes it, before RTM.

davehc, Mar 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question