Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trellum, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum

Hello everyone! I have a very important question that I truly hope to get answered. I recently bought a new laptop that came with Windows 8.1, it's a Toshiba Satellite just like my old laptop. My old laptop had Windows 7 installed and I truly loved it!

My question is, since both are Toshiba Satellite laptops and I still have the original CDs of my old laptop (the ones to install all the software and drivers along Windows 7), is it possible to use my old laptop's installation CDs to install Windows 7 on my new laptop? Can this be done? Could I damage my new laptop in anyway (the only issue I can think of right now are the old drivers)?

Trellum, Mar 3, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Trellum

davidhk129

One point you have not made clear......
    On that old laptop, was the Win 7 pre-installed ? Meaning : was Win 7 come with the laptop when you bought it ?
    If yes, then your Win 7 is an OEM version.
    My answer then is : No, you cannot use your old laptop's installation CDs to install Windows 7 on you new laptop. It will not work.
    Reason : you need a valid win 7 product key and the key you have from your old laptop is an OEM product key. It is not transferrable. It lives and dies with the old laptop.
    You will have to buy a Win 7 software which comes with a Installation DVD and a new valid product key.

You have paid good money for your new laptop. Why don't you just settle down and try to learn to use the new operating system. It does not make sense to spend more money in order to downgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 7.

There are rumours that Microsoft is developing new/updated operating system which appears to be related to Win 8/8.1.

If it comes to reality, you new laptop with Win 8.1 pre-installed may have an option to install the new/updated operating system free of charge.
    Hang on to it.

davidhk129, Mar 3, 2014
    Trellum likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Trellum

davidhk129

adding................
    Not very often that a computer pre-installed with Win 7 also comes with (the ones to install all the software and drivers along Windows 7).
    Did you buy a retail version of Win 7 and you installed it to that "old" laptop ?

A retail version can be used to install on another computer PROVIDED it is uninstalled from the one is now running. Then the product key is freed up to be used for a new install to another computer.
    One product key, one install.

davidhk129, Mar 3, 2014
  4. Trellum

Trellum

Hi there! Thanks for the reply! To answer your question, yes, windows 7 was pre installed when I bought that laptop. I guess that means the downgrade with those CDs won't be possible? Ah well, if it really isn't then I can settle for windows 8.1, after all it isn't that bad, but it was worth it to ask if it was possible to do this :)

Trellum, Mar 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question