Don't like Windows 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nutmeg77, Mar 3, 2012.

1. nutmeg77

nutmeg77

It's only been a few days, but I don't think Windows 8 is going to be as successful as Windows 7. I understand the need for change, but why throw out all of the good (and defining!) things about Windows.

The tile menu and start page are useless for most desktops, so why bother forcing them in the consumer preview? Everything takes longer for me to do. I don't even know how to shut down or search properly - it's not intuitive.

At this rate, I'll be sticking with Windows 7.

nutmeg77, Mar 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. nutmeg77

Papo

From what I've seen so far, going from one OS to another (DOS, Win 2.0, Win 3.0, Win 95, Win 98, etc.) most people resist the changes for a while until they begin to get used to the new system. I think Microsoft is betting on the success of Windows 8 base on the success of Windows Phone 7. Though the interface, so far, appears to be geared towards tablets, I don’t think it’ll be difficult for Microsoft to adjust the OS towards desktop PCs. I believe, and hope, that when the final version rolls around it’ll work well with desktop and laptops computers.

Papo, Mar 3, 2012
    sleepyH22 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. nutmeg77

clifford (c_c)

I hope you are right

clifford, Mar 4, 2012
  4. nutmeg77

draceena

I really hope they do "split" the PC version so that Metro is GONE. I really don't like it at all. It makes me feel like I'm in grade 3 or something and need pretty color boxes to click.

draceena, Mar 4, 2012
  5. nutmeg77

Octagon

I doubt that. If Start menu is gone,then all WinRT apps are gone, and features like "start again" that work only with WinRT apps are meaningless.

Octagon, Mar 5, 2012
  6. nutmeg77

davehc

LOL. Maybe they really did plan for the lowest common denominator. I have a couple of grade three grandchildren whothink it is the best thing since Ice cream.

davehc, Mar 5, 2012
  7. nutmeg77

Papo

I don't think splitting the two is really necessary. IMO, what Microsoft should do is make it friendly for people to choose between the two. Sometimes we can take for granted how little some people know about computing until we try to teach them how to create a document or access a certain file/application.

When Windows 8 is first started it can appear confusing to many. I can only imagine someone with little computing experience trying to navigate the different applications through the metro interface, especially when using a desktop computer.

Papo, Mar 6, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question