Does anybody else hate WCP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SIW2, Mar 1, 2012.

1. SIW2

SIW2

Or is it just me on this forum.

Perhaps we should have a poll.

I really wanted to like it.

So disappointed.

There is still time.

Perhaps MS will listen and give the users back freedom and choice.

SIW2, Mar 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. SIW2

Ian Administrator

I'm sure that the desktop we're familiar with will appear as a default optionin the final build - the current UI just isn't suitable for current generation desktop PCs. The snazzy start page is really just for tablets, as that's the direct that things are going in and they're keen to push it.

I'm sure it works great on tablets, but it's a little misleading for how it will appear on most people's desktops later on this year.

So, I'd vote "undecided" ;)

Ian, Mar 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. SIW2

davehc

I have now had the chance to install and configure Windows 8 consumer. I must say, there is one thing that hits me in the eye now I have been using it for a couple of days. Over the past year, we have invented several "fixes", to make the OS more tolerable for the average desktop user.
    It seems to me that, lurking somehwere in Microsoft, was a guy with a bad headache, who has gone out of his way to make sure several of the fixes no longer work.

davehc, Mar 1, 2012
  4. SIW2

Dipsy

I'm not impressed. Looks to me like they have set Win 8 as primarily a mobile/touch screen OS with desktop use as an after thought. I'll wager that you won't see Win8 in it's present form deployed in the business community like other versions of the OS. Can you imagine office workers in a huge corporation coming to work some morning and finding Win 8 on their computer? Heck, it took me a long time to find the start/shutdown function and more time to figure out how to get rid of the splash screen so I could log on. Will business users have to have a Windows Live account to be able to use Win8?

I'm maybe a tad above an average user since I build and maintain my own machines and have never had to call tech support. Been through all the systems since DOS and frankly I've found nothing in Win8 so far that gets me excited or anxious to upgrade from Win7. I opened up a game of Solitaire and noticed there were no options and after a few minutes decided to quit the game. The familiar 3 boxes at the upper right corner were not there and I couldn't figure out how to shut the game down like you do by clicking the X. I'm finding my way around and gradually figuring out how things work but I can't imagine Aunt Effie ever being able to learn how to send a picture to her sister. I'm trying hard to like the new layout and will continue to try new stuff like games but my initial impression is that average home users and businesses will keep their XP or Win7 systems rather than switch.

Dipsy, Mar 1, 2012
  5. SIW2

Papo

I like the new start menu and believe it's something I'll get used to it. My concern are those people with little or no computing experience. The Win 7 and even the Win XP interface are easier to learn. My wife is not a computer wiz by any means, but she can go online, check her email and write a document without many issues. And even when she run into issues, I could guide her in the right direction through the phone.

However, when I show her the new Win 8 interface, she got really confused and had issues moving through the different applications. I just wonder how many other people will be running through that same issue.

Papo, Mar 1, 2012
  6. SIW2

Ian Administrator

Out of interest, which fixes were you using for the W8DP? Fingers crossed they can port them over to the W8CP!

Ian, Mar 1, 2012
  7. SIW2

SIW2

I wish you were right Ian.

I fear that is pretty much what we will get - a few bug fixes, but no major changes.

There was massive feedback from WDP - MS heard what the customers want - then ignored it.

In fact WCP is worse. More restirctive, less choice, still an almost unusable interface to the full scale o/s.

It is ok for a phone/tablet - for those who only want to do the simple things on those kind of devices.

If they can get the marketing right - ( make people feel good about themselves for having bought the device ), they can probably take a chunk of the mobile market.

The o/s itself is almost an irrelevance - it is expected to work - the trick is to make the phone/tablet desirable.

There is nothing for those who want to more than the simple phone type stuff.

That is deliberate.

SIW2, Mar 1, 2012
  8. SIW2

davehc

Ian.
    I had various fixes sitting in a folder of my own. Here is the picture. I am working with them, to see where the paths (I think that is the main problem) have changed to. I believe I have already mentioned, elsewhere (Sorry - been flashing around so many sites the last three days, forget what and where I posted) that the Vista start menu is excellent as as a replacement for the non metro menu. I have been told that the "Classic" shell also works well. I only experiment with third party add-ons, as it is necessary for me to only use what is available in the OS to make it work.

Attached Files:

davehc, Mar 2, 2012
    Ian likes this.
  9. SIW2

Sean Reilly

Gotta say im using it as my main operating system and the more I use it the more i'm liking it. Once you get used to using the right mouse butto, the windows key on the keyboard and hovering in the corners of the screen to activate the pop out menus it becomes easier. I do agree tho that this OS is aimed at the tablet market and wont work well in industry. Would I invest my hard earned cash to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8? not sure I would to be honest.

Sean Reilly, Mar 2, 2012
  10. SIW2

SIW2

It is fine for phone or squashed phone ( slate/tablet/pad things ).

The metro interface is ok for those.

It should be - it is similar to the interfaces phones have been using for quite some time .

That is not the question.

What about people who want to do mre than simple phone type things?

This is where the problem lies.

The full scale interface is there - but is extremely awkward to use.

Also the the security levels are a hindrance.

You need to have ie10 as your default browser or some things won't work.

You can't turn UAC off except via the registry - then other rthings stop working.

The bootable wim's are a pain to work with because there is so much protection.

I wasn't able to install via my preferred method of applying the wim - (unless there is something strange unique to my system).

It appears MS are blocking that kind of install and forcing boring and inflexible install via windows setup.

Those are just a few examples

Note : for those who want to struggle on trying wcp - use Vista start menu.

The wcp main interface is virtually unusable otherwise.

( there is a free version - also a pro version - and windows 7 style start menu available )

http://www.vistastartmenu.com/

Works really well - the search box in it works too - it is a godsend on wcp.

Thank you fro making it Dennis :)

SIW2, Mar 2, 2012
  11. SIW2

davehc

1. The security levels are pretty much unchanged through Vista: Windows 7 and, now, Windows 8. They are customisable.
    2. I haven't found a requirement to have IE10 as my default, to make things work? Perhaps you could expand on that?
    3. You do not have to edit the registry to turn off the UAC. I have not found anything that stops working with it off (My default setting)
    4. No info on the WIMS, perhaps someone can enlighten us?
    5. I am not an Icon shortcut guy, so I would agree that the Metro menu is not such a good idea (for me) But, if you remove the unwanted trash from it, whilst it can still look a little cluttered, it is not that difficult to handle.
    6. I, too, have found the "Vista Start Menu" a good replacement for the old start menu.

davehc, Mar 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question