Do you want to rename "Firefox.lnk(2)" to "Firefox.lnk(3)" ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hairy Scot, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

I have a number of items pinned to the taskbar.
    It would appear that some of these are duplicates of some invisible items which I cannot track down.
    Displaying the properties of these items shows the item name followed by (2).
    Any attempt to change the name back to the original gets: Do you want to rename "Firefox.lnk(2)" to "Firefox.lnk(3)".
    Not a train smash, just puzzling and annoying.

Hairy Scot, Feb 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

Located the folder "C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar and cleaned it up, but am still at a loss as to how and why the duplicates occured.

Hairy Scot, Feb 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Hairy Scot

davehc

Not teaching you to suck eggs, as you are probably already aware, but. You may know that, in any case, you do not need any duplicates for those shortcuts?
    If you need more than one instance of, say, FF, just select again with the mouse middle key.

davehc, Feb 5, 2013
  4. Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

Thanks davehc.

As I said, I got it sorted out by cleaning out the "C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" and recreating the various pinned items.
    Apparently the registry key for these things had somehow been corrupted.

While I have your attention, can you tell me if there is a way on this forum to mark a thread as solved?

Hairy Scot, Feb 5, 2013
  5. Hairy Scot

davehc

I think not. This is a new template which Ian is experimenting with. There could be such an option, not yet implemented. But I am sure Ian will pop up in this thread and give you some info, soon.

davehc, Feb 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question