Do you use the Windows Store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ian, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

When I first installed Windows 8 I took a look at the Store offerings and downloaded one or two things which appealed - but there wasn't much else that interested me. Since then, I've not taken a look at the Store... until today. It looks like there are loads more apps since I last looked!

I still haven't downloaded many as I tend to prefer fully fledged standalone apps or the official website (for web based ones like news sites).

Are there any heavy app store users here?

Ian, Jan 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

davehc

Good question. When Windows 8 was on early release, MS themselves boasted very noticeably, that the store was to be monitored, and a code of conduct would be applied, with stars awarded according to merit.. I would say that now, with the icon method of scanning, it has become too much of a burden to browse through. It is quicker to do a standard google for anything your require. There are even sites which offer a quicker selection that the store.
    As a result of a similar thread to this one, I spent some time on the store, examining the possibilities. I found , in the first instance, I could not agree with the findings of the star system. A great percentage of the programs are rubbish, produced by amateur programmers, practising the , now, well advertised method of producing a "Metro" app. Many are merely piggy backing already well known non-metro program. There are, also, a huge number of duplicates, in all categories. A good example of this is the overkill of converted Metro programs of the notepad and the built in calculator.
    "Free" programs, if you choose that category, are not always. Many are expiring demos. Among a few I initially download (One was a "Zip" program), I found later had been withdrawn and now needed to be paid for. I am sorry to say that, for the time at least, I will be focussing only. on the standard non Metro programs.

davehc, Jan 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

Odili

I use the store, and I think it's kinda useful. I downloaded a translator since I learn a lot of languages, and was surprised at the level of accuracy. It does have less apps than, say, the Apple store, but who cares? It's not as old.

I like it for now, but the novelty's gonna wear off pretty soon, I think. I'm still in that honeymoon phase with my new laptop :)

Odili, Jan 19, 2013
  4. Ian

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I haven't looked at it for a while. If the apps could be run in a window, I'd be all over it. But right now I see no compelling desire to load my computer up with more apps that force themselves fullscreen.

Core, Jan 19, 2013
  5. Ian

davehc

Most of the Apps are "non" Metro, and will run in desktop mode, Core.
    I believe, currently, (and it changes by the hour) , there are more than 11000 various programs in the store.

davehc, Jan 20, 2013
  6. Ian

Aditya Kulkarni

Store is something that added an amazing touch to Windows 8.

I downloaded the skype app from Windows Store, it felt like I am no more using a desktop operating system, but it felt like using a phone or a tablet! :)
    Store is the key element in Windows 8 I would say!

Aditya Kulkarni, Jan 20, 2013
    Sugarhill likes this.
  7. Ian

Ace

For my desktop, I don't use it at all really. When I am on my Surface though, I use it all the time. Otherwise I just stick to the regular desktop applications for my desktop running Windows 8, because it makes more sense; productivity on the desktop is better on a Desktop, and worse on a tablet-like device such as my Surface.

Ace, Jan 21, 2013
  8. Ian

Can you name one so that I can check it out, because so far every app I have downloaded has been Metro. I'm not doubting your word, I'd just like to get the most out of the Store.

Core, Jan 22, 2013
  9. Ian

Ace

I am a developer for the Windows store and I can confirm that there are no desktop apps in that store... For a few reasons as well. Any apps that have a Desktop mode just invoke the function to CreateProcess() in order to run the desktop executable version which is either installed at that point in time if not yet configured, otherwise perhaps It already exists. Google chrome is an example of this.

There aren't any in the store though because the store is a main pool of apps for RT devices, and currently there Is absolutely no benefit to developing for an ARM based processor because you need to bypass the driver signing level required to even run apps in the first place.

(This is already done by the way, and it's simply a change of 1 byte value in memory for the kernel from a signed value of 8, to 0. But so far debugging and programming knowledge is required for people who are able to do this.)

The app store is meant to be a collection of apps that will run in app mode on your Windows 8 or Windows 8 RT. Thus there's no desktop apps...

Ace, Jan 22, 2013
    Core likes this.
  10. Ian

Ace

Windows store apps have to be developed for the app view, meaning XAML, HTML5/JS/CSS, or DirectX. Microsoft won't accept a desktop app for the store if you send it to them for review.

Ace, Jan 22, 2013
  11. Ian

davehc

For reasons stated, I haven't used the store too much. Almost back to the early windows 8 releases. My last post was obviously hasty. The modern store does only contain items that run full screen. Many of the larger programs - I exclude the small utilities and games from that - can be downloaded from the web, and are in the original desktop mode. As I said, until the items in the store can be multi tasked in desktop mode, they are a little off limits for me.
    But, that is my opinion only. There seem to be some quite interesting things there - particularly in the games area.
    Just to add (In defence - lol) my first incursion into the store, a few months back, often only gave me links to home pages, where the download of the original program was available. This policy has obviously been changed.

davehc, Jan 23, 2013
    Ace likes this.
  12. Ian

Ace

Cut The Rope was a game that had gotten probably the most attention in the store to date. The first "Angry Bird" equivalent for the small collection of apps in the uprising Microsoft store.

Ace, Jan 23, 2013
  13. Ian

Okay, now I get why people like the Store and seem to find something useful there, while I wasn't finding more than maybe one or two apps. The apps available in the Store were limited to apps available in my native language (Finnish). Total apps shown in the whole damn store? 187.

I figured out something was amiss when I saw an article online about a supposedly good RSS reader app called Flux, but I couldn't find it in the Store. I added English to my languages in Windows 8 (I didn't actually download the language pack or change the default language, just added it in) and my Store app count went from 187 to 17,800. Now I actually have something to pick from!

Core, Jan 27, 2013
  14. Ian

davehc

Well! I didn't have any idea od that function. A little weird though. I have Danish as the second choice in my personalisation. It hadn't occurred to me that I was only seeing English and Danish items in the store!

davehc, Jan 27, 2013
  15. Ian

Nibiru2012 Moderator

So far, I really have no use for anything I've perused in the Windows Apps Store.

I wonder if CR-APPLE will try to sue MS for 'infringement' on the name of 'apps'.

Nibiru2012, Jan 27, 2013
  16. Ian

Nah, Google was using "apps" way before Apple.

Core, Jan 27, 2013
  17. Ian

davehc

Well. We all remember the farce over IE, in the European parliament. In the end it came to the same thing. - We still have IE as a first choice! Maybe there are greedy eyes on other so-called "infringements" , Paint; A partition assistant; A cleaning utility Defrag. etc etc. Outrageous, also, that Microsoft offer now, a pdf reader.lol

davehc, Jan 27, 2013
  18. Ian

I hate that reader. Oh god, how I hate it. But it's still nice that it's there so that you can open PDFs by default after installation, before you download something more useful.

Core, Jan 28, 2013
  19. Ian

davehc

davehc, Feb 7, 2013
    Core likes this.
  20. Ian

That article hits it dead on.

Core, Feb 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question