Do you really need Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by allswl, Nov 26, 2012.

1. allswl

allswl

The new operating system in my opinion does not offer users of window 7 too much difference except for a few new features such as ability to access the app store of Microsoft. Also it is relatively expensive so it is best to buy a new computer with it already loaded.

If you are running an old OS such as Windows XP then it would be the best to get a new computer all together instead of installing the new OS simply because you old computer would be configured to handle the new OS.

For small businesses caution is the word. Unless you are in the tech business there is no compelling reason for you to jump to Windows 8. There will also be the costs associated with training staff to use the new OS.

If you are an avid gamer then Windows 8 is a bit better than Windows 7, and that’s a small bit. I would say give it a few months when drivers such as video card drivers begin to mature more and as such bring much better performance, and greater stability.

allswl, Nov 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. allswl

Victor Leigh

Do I really need Windows 8?

Yes, I do. What are my alternatives? XP? That's way out-of-date. Vista? You must be kidding. Windows 7? Do I need all the things which come with Windows 7? No, I don't. I just need a simple shell operating system. I don't need the Media Center. I don't even need Microsoft Office. All I need is something light and simple to play World of Warcraft.

That's all I need to do with Windows 8 and that's what Windows 8 does for me.

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. allswl

NickJ

Not really. I am planning to roll with 7 for now. And XP every now and then. I'll probably score 8 when I'm in the mood.

NickJ, Nov 27, 2012
  4. allswl

Tchégéda

No, but Windows 8 offers an facility of use than precedent versions no offers.

Tchégéda, Dec 29, 2012
  5. allswl

jubbly

Does anyone else just find themselves booting up windows 8 and then going straight to the desktop and ignoring the metro completely? I find that is what I am doing now the novelty has worn off.

jubbly, Jan 7, 2013
    habibk20 likes this.
  6. allswl

habibk20

same here

habibk20, Jan 12, 2013
  7. allswl

bassfisher6522

Once you start playing with the apps in metro you might start liking them. I found that using the Skype app in metro has a built in spell checker where as the desktop counter part doesn't.
    Sure it takes some getting used to but what doesn't, just like going from 98se to XP, XP to 7 and now 7 to 8. It's all a learning curve.

bassfisher6522, Jan 12, 2013
    habibk20 likes this.
  8. allswl

Ace

I use both views pretty frequently:
    [​IMG]

The thing that most users using Windows 8 won't understand at first is just how much Windows 8 really gives you. Why? Because lots of the cool features that are provided within Windows 8, will probably never be explored by the average user. Native 3.0 USB Support, Native ISO mounting capabilities for a virtual device drive, Hyper-V, etc... That's just my opinion.

But I like Windows 8 lots more than Windows 7. The only thing lacking right now is the number of apps in the store, and compatibility, which will improve over time, so I don't hold anything against Windows 8 for that reason.

~Ace

Ace, Jan 14, 2013
    habibk20 likes this.
  9. allswl

benj0145

I love the Live tile idea on the start page. I wish you could snap the start screen or make the start page stay on a 2nd monitor, you get notifications and updates 'live'.

I spend the majority of my time on the desktop, but as I use dual monitors (and a lot more people to these days) it would be nice to be able to do that. (at the moment it just goes back to the desktop on both monitors as soon as you click off the start page).

Windows 8 also runs faster, and more efficiently on my machine, so as far as I'm concerned - whether you like the metro ui or not, its a step forward from 7.

benj0145, Jan 14, 2013
    habibk20 likes this.
  10. allswl

Odili

No, not REALLY. But it's MUCH MUCH faster than any previous Windows OS. And it's really neat, and quite pleasing to operate.

Generally, when things are upgraded, and if they're from a reliable source, they're much faster, better, and efficient.

So now that I love it, I need it.

Odili, Jan 20, 2013
  11. allswl

IndiePoster

I wouldn't say I need it but it's a good idea to upgrade and I enjoy the new Windows features such as the metro UI but I'd be fine with Windows 7.

IndiePoster, Mar 29, 2013
  12. allswl

Victor Leigh

Yes, I do. I have an old laptop and Windows 8 runs faster than Windows 8 on it. Maybe it's because Windows 8 was designed for devices with limited resources.

Victor Leigh, Apr 11, 2013
  13. allswl

bryce12

I don't think that we really need Windows 8. Everyone knows that Microsoft introduced the new operating system to compete with the likes of Apple and Android tablets. So even though it is a revolutionary operating system it is not absolutely essential for our day to day work. I am still happy with my XP and Win 7 laptops and I don't really need the features offered by Window 8.

bryce12, Apr 26, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
  14. allswl

Carly

You defiantly need it, its an upgrade, not an option. The only acceptable reason for you to not have windows 8 is because you cannot afford it.

Carly, Apr 26, 2013
  15. allswl

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Sure.... why not. Worse case it will help you appreciate what you already have even more.
    Bottom line.... at least from my point of view is, I like it.
    If you don't .... well then, there you are. Question answered.
    You can argue the pros versus the cons, you can wax poetic about the benefits (there are some), you can discuss philosophically the shortcomings (there are some of those too). But really I think what it actually comes down to, is the good old subjective "like".
    But "need"..... probably not. At least not immediately.

Trouble, Apr 27, 2013
  16. allswl

davehc

" I am still happy with my XP and Win 7 laptops and I don't really need the features offered by Window 8. "
    You may do if you reach a point where you need a jump into more modern hardware?

Also, "Everyone knows that Microsoft introduced the new operating system to compete with the likes of Apple and Android tablets". I do, (imo) think there were more profound reasons than that. MS are looking into the possible future trend in the use of computers, among other considerations.

davehc, Apr 27, 2013
  17. allswl

Victor Leigh

Actually in my case, I am using Windows 8 because I have an old laptop and it's kind of laggy with
    Windows 7 and I didn't want to go back to Windows XP. So Windows 8 is just what I need for my ancient hardware.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2013
  18. allswl

brkkab123

I've used Start8 since Iinstalled 8 on my desktop pc. I've had it set to boot to the desktop since Iinstalled it. I only have modern app's on the Start screen. I maybe spend 1 -1 1/2 hour's per day on the modern app's. That may change over time. For now my desktop software get's the thing's I'm interested in done. When Feed Demon stop's handling rss feed's in July, I'll debate over whether to put them in Outlook 2010 or the News. The desktop version web browser's, Hulu desktop, Netflix in W.M.C., Windows Media Player, M.S. Office 2010 Home & Sm. Business, Xmarks, TweetDeck, Cyberlink Media Suite, Steam and G.F.W.L. all work far superior than anything in Windows Store.

brkkab123, Apr 29, 2013
  19. allswl

scajjr2

I just got a new laptop with Win 8 and I too installed Start8 and boot right to the desktop. To me Win8's Metro/App/whatever theycallit is great if you have a touchscreen laptop or all-in-one desktop but is so non-intuitive for a keyboard&mouse user as myself it becomes a PITA to use.

Sam

scajjr2, May 2, 2013
  20. allswl

xHysteria

I wouldn't say I need it, but I use it. It's just another update to windows and its pretty good. So that's my point.

xHysteria, May 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question