Do you like Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brad, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Brad

Brad

Do you like windows 8, personally i hate it so much seriously well its good in parts but the black weird battery thing where the programs are displayed is so annoying trying to see like download time left on google chrome :) i like the dashboard but other parts i don't like.

Brad, Aug 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Brad

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Love it..... thanks for asking.
    And by the way, welcome to the forum Brad.

Trouble, Aug 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Brad

airplayne

At first I thought I wouldn't like it, but it has grown on me. And I don't even have a device with a touchscreen.

BTW, in regard to your problem, have you thought of just hiding the task bar?

airplayne, Aug 23, 2013
  4. Brad

agzander

I really do not like the start menu, as it is not suited for a desktop or laptop computers. But if I were a tablet user, I would really like the start menu. I prefer the new task manager, as It's easier to set programs to startup. Although the charms bar is nice for easy customization and settings changing, I really dislike how it pops out. I strongly dislike the metro apps, as they are odd and clunky like the start menu.

Overall, there's a few little nice changes, but if this computer didn't come preloaded with it, I probably would of stuck with windows 7.

agzander, Aug 23, 2013
  5. Brad

themarksquared

I love it. I don't have any complaints regarding it. Even if Microsoft wouldn't have made Windows 8.1, I will still be using my Windows 8. I don't think that the controversy and hatred towards the OS can be justifiable, based on my experience with the system.

themarksquared, Sep 4, 2013
    Sugarhill likes this.
  6. Brad

MorgUK

I haven't been a huge fan, but 8.1 is making me want to upgrade from Windows 7. I'll wait for the update and then we'll see :)

MorgUK, Sep 5, 2013
  7. Brad

Sugarhill

I really don't understand the hatred for the Start Screen. Does your mouse no longer work in the Start Screen? How is it harder to click on a large tile than it was to click on any much smaller shortcut?

I love 8, it actually made me pay attention to the OS. Prior to that, it was just something that allowed me to use Office and get to the internet. I didn't bother it because I didn't want to know how to fix it because I didn't know how I broke it.

Sugarhill, Sep 6, 2013
  8. Brad

Sly14Cat

I don't have too many problems with it. I still don't like the Metro UI. I mean, I can deal with it but it's just the fact that Microsoft ignored 90% of their market by not giving an alternative. From what I've heard they're adding a start button in Windows 8.1.
    That.
    Takes you to.
    The Metro UI.
    That's not really what we meant by "bring back the start button". But really they did an amazing job at redoing the NT kernel in Windows 8. It's much lighter on the computer with many new features that are amazing to say the least. The flat windows it much more modern and just adds to the beauty of the OS. Once I add StartIsBack I don't have to see Metro and it's perfect. So I do like Windows 8 and with a bit of tweaking its perfect.

Sly14Cat, Sep 21, 2013
  9. Brad

Sugarhill

Sly14Cat, what is it about the Start Screen that you hate the most? I'm trying to gain perspective on the "power user" and how the Screen is really preventing them from power usage.

Sugarhill, Sep 21, 2013
  10. Brad

Dipsy

I just spotted a post I made back in March 2012 in which I said Windows 8 would not be installed on my machines. Well, I was wrong. I bought two licenses when they were selling for $40 thinking that Microsoft might make some changes to accommodate the desktop users. Decided to install one of the licenses on a SSD by itself to give it a fair evaluation (I had played with the beta release). I have not put the Windows 7 drive back in and actually have come to like Windows 8. The other license is installed on a second computer and has 8.1 running. I've come to realize that my initial dislike of Windows 8 was fueled by the media hype and the fact that I was miffed at having to share my desktop program with touch screen and mobile users. I think that all the diatribe about the start button was just a knee jerk reaction against a significant change as it still works the same and only looks different. As with all previous new versions of Windows things are moved around, changed and sometimes hard to find but everything is still there. I don't see any reason at all to go back to Windows 7. I found a box with some old computer games requiring Vista and XP and they (with a couple of exceptions) have installed and played without a hiccup in Windows 8. Currently playing Assassin's Creed programmed for XP and Vista (only) using an old XBox 360 controller that I've had for many years. I'm impressed with Windows 8 and would suggest people lay aside all the comments from the detractors and give it a fair shake. I think that you'll find it's not as bad as it's purported to be.

Dipsy, Sep 25, 2013
    Sugarhill and Trouble like this.
  11. Brad

Sugarhill

THANK YOU! At least someone will admit it. When 8 first came out, I spent about 5 minutes in a store trying to fiddle with a display unit and said, "oh, I see the problem."

But, no, the problem is that I gave it 5 minutes on a STORE DISPLAY, not the combination that would be needed to appreciate it. When I had to get a new computer and had no choice but see what it was, I couldn't understand the pain!

I'm wondering what took Microsoft so long. Having said that, I'm probably going to be too lazy and afraid to jump to 8.1. :D

Sugarhill, Sep 25, 2013
  12. Brad

Dipsy

Windows 8.1 beta has a plethora of issues but I'm guessing Microsoft will have them ironed out in the consumer release. I'll update my play computer from the beta version but I think I'll hang back for a bit before I update my main machine.

Dipsy, Sep 25, 2013
  13. Brad

Sly14Cat

At first I detested it. I've slowly warmed up to it but there's just something about it I don't like. It seems a little out of place for a Desktop UI. Of course on a tablet it's beautiful but it's not for a PC. I think my main problem with it is that I have an old windows phone and it makes me feel like I'm on it. I use my computer so I can have more power an options than on my phone, but it feels like I'm still using it which annoys me. The other problem is the metro apps which take up the entire screen and kill workflow as a whole. An example is the Code Writer app; it's pretty cool, but your options to move it to make room are limited and this inclines me to not want to use it. It's great that Microsoft is trying something different but they're trying too hard to pull off the "One OS for all devices" idea that Apple has been pushing. They've added a start button in 8.1 which is great... but it takes you to the Metro menu. When I asked for an optional start button, I did not mean some to click right that. TAKES. ME. TO. METRO. Come on Microsoft, you know what we meant. Besides the iffy UI I love the rest of the OS and it's much more optimized and looks more professional than Windows 7.

Sly14Cat, Sep 28, 2013
  14. Brad

RomanAnthonysMama

I do not necessarily hate it, but I don't like it as much as I liked prior versions. I would have to say that my favorite was XP since I had a desktop computer that lasted me ages with it! It was XP Professional to be exact. I also didn't mind Window's 7, but that really wasn't my favorite either.

RomanAnthonysMama, Sep 29, 2013
  15. Brad

Sugarhill

Okay, I appreciate you answering, I've heard that it doesn't belong on a PC before, I still don't get that one, but if that's all one can offer, I don't what to say.

I guess all I see is larger app launchers, but other people see something bizarre.

Sugarhill, Oct 8, 2013
  16. Brad

Kelly

There are some things that are really different but it's not too bad. I pretty much need to learn how to navigate it and get used to it. I've been using Windows Vista for quite some time so it's a huge difference in my opinion.

Kelly, Oct 20, 2013
  17. Brad

mikelouis

Windows 8 is a bit advanced for novice Windows users but all in all it is an awesome OS that has a well designed UI. Plus now we have the new upgrade Windows 8.1 which has most of the bugs fixed so it is a pretty workable OS to use now.

mikelouis, Oct 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question