Do you have to pay for Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MorgUK, Aug 28, 2013.

1. MorgUK

MorgUK

I installed Windows 8 on a friends PC a few months ago and told him that 8.1 will bring back the start bar and a few other nice features, but the other day I was listening to a tech podcast and it mentioned something about paying for the update? If this is true, Microsoft have lost the plot...

MorgUK, Aug 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MorgUK

davehc

No. It will be a free upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    davehc, Aug 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. MorgUK

airplayne

Sounds like those who were doing the podcast really don't know what they are talking about. All other reports indicate it will be a free upgrade for those who currently have Windows 8.

airplayne, Aug 28, 2013
  4. MorgUK

MorgUK

Yeah I didn't think so. I either miss heard or they really don't know what they are on about! If they did charge it would be a joke!

MorgUK, Aug 29, 2013
  5. MorgUK

davehc

Perhaps they were remarking on a fresh install - No Windows 8 previously installed?

davehc, Aug 29, 2013
  6. MorgUK

David B

Windows 8.1 will be a free upgrade for anyone who currently runs Windows 8, but for everyone else, a purchase will be required. Windows 8.1 is sort of a service pack for Windows 8.

David B, Aug 29, 2013
  7. MorgUK

RomanAnthonysMama

What davehc said! I'm almost positive it's free, and this makes me feel so much better hearing that it is! I would assume any software updates are free nowadays. I know Android, Apple, Blackberry, and a few others don't charge for their system or software updates, so I don't see why Window's would either. I can't wait to see what the new update has to hold.

RomanAnthonysMama, Aug 31, 2013
  8. MorgUK

themarksquared

As what David B said, Windows 8.1 will be free for existing Windows 8 users, while non-Windows 8 users will be required to buy Windows 8.1, as far as I know. I think this is a good move on Microsoft's part though. Please the current users, and entice the non-users to upgrade to Windows 8.

themarksquared, Sep 4, 2013
  9. MorgUK

mikelouis

I think since it will be an upgrade, it will be free of course for those that already have Windows 8 installed. if you do not have Windows 8, then you just have to buy the upgrade.

mikelouis, Oct 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question