Do not install a malware scanner called "Win 8 Security System" -- it's a fake

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by Core, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Core

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Core, Nov 1, 2012
    wowtgp and Ian like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

NickJ

Some people still fall for this unfortunately though. Good idea warning the less experienced folks. Although if they avoid this, they will later on in the day fall for the UK LOTTERY email scam.:p

NickJ, Nov 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Core

Victor Leigh

Plenty of scams out there and they are getting better from day to day. Still it's not impossible to catch out a scam. Just log in to the official site to check it out.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
  4. Core

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

What's amazing to me is that there are people who suddenly see a scanner like this pop up on their screen without having even downloaded any scanners, and it says it found a bunch of viruses and asks for money to get rid of them, and people don't smell a rat. I guess these are the folks that put the bread on the tables of all the IT pros.

Core, Nov 4, 2012
  5. Core

Victor Leigh

Well, the lack of intelligence of people in general is always amazing. They tend to just believe what they see without question. That's why advertising companies can make money selling ideas which are not very logical if anyone were to put some thought to it.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
  6. Core

NickJ

Whenever I see an alert like that pop up I immediately log off before it can scan or download anything. Then I delete my cookies, and run anti-virus immediately. I also make sure to block the site that I was on when this first happened.

NickJ, Nov 7, 2012
  7. Core

allswl

I am surprised whenever I hear of people who fall for this one. i seems that when people buy a computer they should be given a book listing the "things to look out for and not respond to." There are still a lot of gullible people out there and they need to be educated. when I see things like this I immediately clean my registry and cookies and also run a virus software.

allswl, Nov 25, 2012
  8. Core

NickJ

I think some folks use their computers on edge. There's so many people who're scared something bad might happen to their computers that they think any scan is a good scan. They also think Microsoft is so powerful that whenever a scan just pops up, they "assume" it's just MS looking out for me because they detected something "bad" in my system. Little do they know, that it is not.

NickJ, Nov 27, 2012
  9. Core

Smackz

It's sad to know that there are people out there falling for this type of stuff. I really hope people wisen up in regards to this sort of issue and stop falling for it. As for me, I almost got infected by accident. All of those sites are trying to get some malware into your computer to make some money.

Smackz, Dec 23, 2012
  10. Core

themarksquared

Nobody is safe nowadays, so being extra careful and vigilant about your actions are highly needed. This is a fine example of that situation. It's sad to know that some people fell for this trap, and I hope that they would be able to get their device fixed. I hope this would also serve as a lesson to them to be extra careful when downloading programs on the internet.

Thank you for the heads up, OP. I hope this warning would spread across the internet so that more people would know about this.

themarksquared, May 14, 2013
  11. Core

ksam911

Yes, I have come across this file myself. It is quite easy to spot. Following your standard rules for avoiding viruses and malware is enough to steer clear of it though. Like most of you have already said its mostly novices that are oblivious (Older folks/Children) to these things in the first place who get into the trouble.

ksam911, May 30, 2013
  12. Core

inb4

You would think malware applications would start adopting a more modern and professional look to lure an even WIDER audience in, but nope...

If they want to succeed with consumers that are actually slightly computer-able, they need to step up their aesthetics for sure.

inb4, May 30, 2013
  13. Core

adamsmith

this is coz of its attractive stuffs they offer and most of the user who are less known with the affects it causes to their system get into the trap to face the most cyber havoc..

adamsmith, Aug 2, 2013
  14. Core

wowtgp

wowtgp, Aug 8, 2013
  15. Core

David B

What I find strange is that when I was running Windows XP, which was up until a few months ago, I was always getting infected, and now that I have switched to Windows 8, I don't get anything. I can't believe that Microsoft has improved their security that much.

David B, Aug 21, 2013
  16. Core

davehc

No computer is completely fee of danger, however it is protected. Today, it is not even necessary to go on "naughty" pages to pick up trojans or other malware.
    I am quite sure, however much MS may try to tighten down the leaks, that by the time Windows 8 is as old as you XP installation, it will also be picking up mischief.

davehc, Aug 22, 2013
  17. Core

David B

I suppose so. That is a good point which I never considered.

David B, Aug 22, 2013
  18. Core

mikelouis

Windows 8 has its own inbuilt antivirus and antimalware software so there is no need to add other softwares.They will just slow down or halt your computer.

mikelouis, Oct 14, 2013
  19. Core

adamsmith

it is not that you are that much unsafe as there are security measures to be followed and once you are well up to that you will remain out of such threats

adamsmith, Nov 11, 2013
  20. Core

MyDigitalpoint

Thanks for the heads up Core!

I'm usually cautious to install anything, but now running over Windows 8, I'm always unsure to see if a download offer is fake or comes like a part of the update process that my computer is performing every now and then.

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question