Do I need to do anything to use SSDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maddox, Mar 25, 2012.

1. maddox

maddox

This question kind of relates to Windows 8 and 7, because I am using both with a Crucial SSD.

I just installed Windows right on to the SSD and didn't install any other drivers. Do I need to run anything to get TRIM working or will Windows configure my drive without any input from me?

maddox, Mar 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. maddox

brkkab123

All you need to do in either o.s., is A:) Make sure the ssd is set to AHCI in the bios and B) Right-click Computer, Properties and click on Windows Experience Index and let it rescan your pc, so Trim gets enabled. You can also download SSD Tweaker from http://elpamsoft.com/Downloads.aspx?Name=SSD Tweaker . Install and run it and select Auto Tweak Settings and restart your pc. On the box that pop's up when you go to close SSD Tweaker, asking if you want to purchase the Pro version, click No. You don't really need it.
    You'll also want to move your Contacts, Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos off of the ssd. Make new folders for each on your old hard drive, then click Start, click on your username in the upper right side. Right-click on each of the folders I mentioned, click on Location then click on Move and click browse and select each new folder you created and then Apply and OK.

brkkab123, Mar 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question