Disabling hardware keyboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GuyBall, Mar 13, 2013.

1. GuyBall

GuyBall

So I've got a few keys on my laptop keyboard broken, and use a USB Keyboard as replacement at the moment. The issue is, when I keep my USB keyboard over my laptop and type, it causes my hardware keyboard to generate keystrokes, which is really annoying. So any idea how to disable the laptop keyboard driver and just use the USB Keyboard?

GuyBall, Mar 13, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. GuyBall

davehc

It is not ultra expensive to change the keyboard, but this may not be what you are trying to do. Hardware method is to open the keyboard and disconnect the cable.
    Software. Try this. Go to Windows \System32\Drivers.
    Scroll to items beginning KB. There should be two. kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys. Rename them (Don't delete them - you may need them again) to, for example kbdclassx.sys, or kbdclass.syx.
    Windows 8 is a little clever, and may reinstate them, but I doubt it. Reboot and see if that works for you.

davehc, Mar 13, 2013
    GuyBall likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. GuyBall

GuyBall

I know, I'm getting my new laptop, so not bothering to waste my money on fixing this one tbh. And yeah, knew the detaching the keyboard way, I'll give the renaming a shot and see how it goes. Thanks Davey! :)

GuyBall, Mar 13, 2013
  4. GuyBall

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Just a thought, and I may be way off here, but....
    Seems like "Device Manager" would reflect the presence of two keyboards and simply right clicking and disable the unused / un-needed keyboard might be sufficient to the task.

Trouble, Mar 14, 2013
  5. GuyBall

GuyBall

You ARE way off. It doesn't work like that, it's still greyed out, the disable option for my default keyboard :) I'm yet to try the renaming part, that might probably work. Will keep you updated.

GuyBall, Mar 14, 2013
  6. GuyBall

davehc

Trouble could be on the right track, though?? If you try the renaming trick, then your keyboard will be accessed through the USB drivers, of course. But it may possibly still need the keyboard drivers. As I said, though, worth a try.

davehc, Mar 14, 2013
  7. GuyBall

attackat

Sorry to reopen an old thread...I tried this renaming business and now I can't get into my laptop at all as the usb keyboard and touchpad don't work either...can't get pat the screensaver...any ideas?! Please help!!

attackat, Oct 18, 2013
  8. GuyBall

OK.... don't panic. I'm not sure why you did that but you can recover if you remember the files that you renamed and where they were located.
    I usually use one of the many Linux distros Live CD options to boot my PC and then browse to the location and rename the files back to their original names.
    Just be sure to use the "Try Ubuntu" option and not the "Install Ubuntu" option.
    You can grab one here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    consider reading these as well
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-desktop-long-term-support
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install
    So as not to make matters worse.

Trouble, Oct 18, 2013
  9. GuyBall

attackat

Thank you for your suggestion but the point is I can't use any keyboard or the touchpad so I can't do anything. I do have another laptop and a data transfer cable which I was hopng would help, bit it looks like any transfer if files I could do needs new to have access to the old computer

attackat, Oct 19, 2013
  10. GuyBall

All you need to do is create the Ubuntu CD, set the broken computer's BIOS to boot from that CD and your keyboard should work. I don't however, know how renaming the keyboard drivers would have impacted your touchpad.
    But trust me nothing you've done from within windows will have any impact on running Ubuntu from the Live CD.
    Unless of course there is something physically wrong with the two devices. In which case perhaps you may want to plug in a USB mouse.

Trouble, Oct 19, 2013
  11. GuyBall

bassfisher6522

Like Trouble stated, if you can use a USB mouse and keyboard to get you operational. If not, you can pull the CMOS battery and that will reset the BIOS for you. On the back of your laptop, there are panels to unscrew, unscrew them and pull the covers off, the CMOS batter is usually under one of those for easy access. With out knowing your exact make and model, I can't tell you exactly where it's located.

bassfisher6522, Oct 19, 2013
  12. GuyBall

attackat

Wanted to update, thanks everyone for their help while I was panicking, turns out all I needed was a usb mouse to get in, turn on the on-screen keyboard, abs navigate back to fix the names! Thanks again!

attackat, Oct 20, 2013
  13. GuyBall

Glad to her you have it all sorted. Thanks for posting back to update your thread and sharing your resolution with us.

Trouble, Oct 20, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question