Disable window shadows

Discussion in 'Customization' started by lucasbytegenius, Nov 29, 2012.

1. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Imo, shadows behind windows in Windows 8 are so faint they're not really necessary at all. Is it just me, or do you guys really think there's a big difference with them enabled or not?

I've had them disabled for the past few weeks and really haven't missed them, to be honest. They really don't provide much of a contrast between the background and the window itself, the border around the window works just as well.

lucasbytegenius, Nov 29, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. lucasbytegenius

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I haven't bothered disabling them. Like you said, they're very faint. I didn't like them at all in Windows 7, though, nor did I care for Aero in general, with that awful glassy look.

Core, Nov 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

I was actually a big fan of Aero, never liked Windows Basic or Classic at all. And the shadows were extreme but they complimented the look.

Windows 8's desktop UI was made by a real designer though, you can tell by the faint borders (as opposed to stark, absolute black) and the faint shadows.

I guess they make a difference when you've got a light background behind the windows.

lucasbytegenius, Dec 3, 2012
  4. lucasbytegenius

jubbly

How do you actually disable them? And how much resources do they use?

jubbly, Dec 17, 2012
  5. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

Press the Windows key + Pause/Break, or go to Computer, right-click in an empty area and click Properties. Then click Advanced System Settings, then in the performance category click Settings, then uncheck Show shadows under windows.

No idea how much resources they use though, I doubt it's a lot.

lucasbytegenius, Dec 17, 2012
  6. lucasbytegenius

Smackz

Disabling the shadows barely does anything. I notice absolutely nothing different when they're off. I just keep it on since it's not hindering anything I do.

Smackz, Dec 21, 2012
  7. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius

I guess if it works for you, just leave it. They really don't seem to be much though. Wonder if there's a way to adjust them.

lucasbytegenius, Dec 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question