Direct experience with windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by davehc, Sep 4, 2010.

1. davehc

davehc

A recent patent by Microsoft reveals a new feature that could make its way into Windows 8. The patent calls it Direct Experience, and it basically speeds up the execution of media, and maybe other data, in the operating system.

This is done by circumventing some of the necessary steps to play media. In Windows 7 for instance, a user would have to start the computer, or resume from standby, login, wait until the desktop loads, before the appropriate application can be launched to play the media files.
    Direct Experience checks for media to play before login. If media is found it can automatically launch a maximized media player and start playback mode.

Source:
    http://windows8news.com/2010/08/17/windows-8-include-direct-experience-platform/

davehc, Sep 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. davehc

Ian Administrator

I really like this idea, as there's plenty of times I just fire up my laptop to play some music and don't want to fully log in. :)

It reminds me of some of the "instant-on" linux partitions that come on some netbooks - allowing you to perform some simple tasks within a few seconds of boot.

Ian, Sep 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question