Defrag your SSD??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trouble, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Ran across this article today and found it very interesting and thought I would pass it along.
    I've seen the question and associated pontifications across multiple venues around the world wide whatever and found myself saying (after reading this one).... finally, something that I at least come close to understanding and can make sense of.
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRe...geek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Trouble, Dec 4, 2014
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

Ian Administrator

Well I certainly learned a thing or two reading that - I always thought that SSDs were never defragged in Windows. I'll be posting a link to this to a few people!

Ian, Dec 5, 2014
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

davehc

More interesting is to scroll down and see Vadim's response and arguments with the author. I must confess that, in my case, the posts put my original concept of ssd defragging back to square one!

davehc, Dec 7, 2014
  4. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

As long as it got you thinking......
    Personally, my take-away was, I'm pretty much gonna take care of my SSD as I have my spinners in the past.
    I've always kinda thought that some of the mystery, magic and mystique around the new tech was the beginning of a new "old wives tale", harkening back to Microsoft's claim about NTFS with NT 4.0 and how defrag was unnecessary an completely left the utility out of the OS, resulting in most of us running NT Servers and Workstations to purchase products like Diskeeper to maintain our spinners.
    The fact that fragmentation does occur and that it does impact performance is really all I needed to know.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Trouble, Dec 7, 2014
  5. Trouble

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I use Raxco's PerfectDisk, it has special settings for SSD defragmentation and does it silently in the background.

I never did like the Windows method of defragmentation. Raxco's program has been a standard program for me for over 9 years. None better.

But then it's like antivirus software... everyone has their own favorite brand.

Nibiru2012, Dec 12, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question