data from W7 system copy + repair disk to W8

SOLVED Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by CloudNo9, Feb 21, 2015.

1. CloudNo9

CloudNo9

Hi all! I am new here, mostly I try to figure things out on my own with the help of Google and YouTube, but I guess now is the time to seek for help from the experts :).

Two weeks ago my hard-disk on my W7 computer crashed. Not a software crash, but mechanical (some internal part got loose according to pc-shop employee). So I thought all my libraries, software etc were gone forever, almost planned to send it to forensic labs for data recovery which is very pricey I found.

Then I remembered having back ups in my vault:

• Windows System-copy (with those weird file extensions), last back up last December 2015), stored on external HD 500Gb (USB connected)
    • Windows Repair Disk (physical CD-R, created January 2012)

Believe it or not, I was just planning to buy a new computer when this crash occurred.

Say I buy a new machine, Windows 8 as OS, would I be able to have my files back with these 2 devices mentioned above? If so, what would be the preferred mode of operation?

I hope I described my issue in a proper and clear way, and I am looking forward to your input. Thanks a stack!!

regards

CloudNo9, Feb 21, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. CloudNo9

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Why not purchase a new hard disk for your current machine an attempt to resolve the issue using the operating system that your backups were created with.

I am not too clear on the following two statements
    What is "my vault"?
    AND
    What are you calling "Windows System-copy" and what specifically are "those weird file extensions"?

If we talking about a Windows System Image that you created using the native backup / recovery application in Windows, then I would think that, any luck you might have in restoring the system from such a recovery process might be better performed in the same or as closely as possible to a similar environment.

Assuming you have the proper installation media and a valid product key then recovering your system with a new hard disk should be pretty straight forward. At least to the point where it is running again with the same OS and is patched and updated and the appropriate drivers are installed from the system manufacturer's website or the hardware device manufacturer's website.

At which point, then you might have some success in performing the recovery process.

I make these suggestions because I have no idea as to what might actually be on the what you are referring to as "back ups in my vault Windows System-copy (with those weird file extensions)", if it is a full system image then you might be able to just perform a system recovery from the installation media.
    As describe in the third option here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7

If they are just backups of files and folders and such then you will need a working environment in order to have someplace to recover the files to.

In either case, I wouldn't expect much luck attempting to perform a system image recovery from a machine that was not running the same OS, as you'd likely just end up with some very bad results.

Trouble, Feb 21, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. CloudNo9

CloudNo9

Hi Trouble,

Thank you for your time to write your extensive reply. I appreciate it.

I was planning to buy a new PC anyway and thought to give it a try to recover from a new W8 system. But you make a good point, it might be better to recover in a similar environment. My computer is a 5 year old system hence a similar hard disk is not on sale anymore (Samsung hd753lj), so I might be looking for a newer model to work this out. Any suggestions on that?

As my vault I apologize, I wasn't clear on that, it's my safe, a physical metal box which can be locked for safety purposes. In there I keep this Windows Repair Disk as mentioned, and the external USB drive with the Windows image. It is my F-drive. I try to include a print screen here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are the weird file extensions:

[​IMG]

Luckily, I do still have the original W7 installation disk with the serial / product key.

Am I right when I say that a buy a new hard disk first, pop that into my old PC, run the W7 installation disk, and then the the recovery process with repair disk (cd-r), followed by the image on the external USB disk? Or is there more to it?

Thanks again for your efforts.

CloudNo9, Feb 22, 2015
  4. CloudNo9

It would appear that, that particular hard disk is a 750 Gig SATA Drive. So given that information I would suspect that any purchase of a similar hard disk of the same size or larger would be satisfactory for your needs.
    You could certainly attempt the restore at that point.
    If you run into issues then I would suggest, as I did above, that you bring the OS up to a state close to its' state when the last backup was performed. Likely fully updated with Service Pack 1 and other associated Windows Updates as well as system hardware drivers that might help.

The good news is that it appears that you have two VHDs.
    One appears to be about 55 megs, which I would suspect is your system partition and the other nearly 200 gigs would likely be your OS and Data (programs and files), either of which you should be able to, in a worse case scenario, mount and examine for contents.
    So hopefully they're in good shape.

I'm not sure where you live geographically, but surely there is a vendor who would have a suitable drive (Seagate or Western Digital) for a reasonable price that you acquire for this project.
    Personally I usually go with Newegg.com or Amazon.com when I need something like this but in a pinch Best Buy or any similar store would likely have a drive that would fit your requirements.

Trouble, Feb 22, 2015
  5. CloudNo9

CloudNo9

Hi Trouble, that was very very helpful. Thank you for your time and efforts. I think I start to work out this project as you suggested.

I am based in Europe so I am able to order from a local store or online vendor here. I might have a go with the Samsung SpinPoint M8 HN-M101MBB, 1TB and shove that into my old system. I hope I can make this happen.

THanks again, I if I run into trouble I probably give another shout :).

regards!

CloudNo9, Feb 23, 2015
  6. CloudNo9

CloudNo9

PS I marked this thread as 'solved' for now, but not sure if my project will run smoothly.

CloudNo9, Feb 23, 2015
  7. CloudNo9

It is definitely a coin toss.
    Some people report excellent results with the Windows System Image Backup and Recovery tools, while others report disaster.
    As I said earlier, at worse you should be able to mount either or both of those VHDs and browse their content with the new Windows 8.1 machine you mentioned that you had plans to purchase.
    Although for the time being I would leave them alone so as not to risk any potential data corruption or otherwise messing with their file attributes.

Trouble, Feb 23, 2015
  8. CloudNo9

This may or may not be of some importance to you and your quest, but the hard drive you suggest buying would appear to be a 2.5 inch 5400 RPM notebook sized hard disk.
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=Samsun...=-1&sk=&cvid=44c5fa9020b1476fa1b6b5b98ebb74e4
    While the hard drive that you had mentioned in an earlier post would appear to be a 3.5 inch 7200 RPM standard desktop sized hard disk.
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=hd753l...=-1&sk=&cvid=30be2ef32ad349179b8510d3b3bac1df

From a performance standpoint if nothing else you may want to confirm that you are shopping for the correct drive to replace the one that is bad.

Trouble, Feb 23, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question