Cursor goes invisible after login on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by dividington, Jul 5, 2014.

1. dividington

dividington

When I turn on my computer, I get to the login screen, click in the field and type in my password. When the login completes, my cursor disappears. I can still see it highlighting things I mouse-over, I can click on things and right click and do everything normally except for the fact that I cannot actually see the cursor. If I Ctrl Alt Del, the mouse is again visible, but as soon as I got back to to desktop or start screen, the cursor goes invisible again. I have tried messing with the mouse trails and enlarging the cursor, selecting a different cursor, re installing drivers and system restore however, system restore was not successful. When I try to do a system restore, it says that windows is missing files but that I may insert my installation disk to recover these files. Upon doing so, it says my disk in invalid. The disk is in perfect condition and is the exact disk I used to install windows in the first place. At this point the mouse is still invisible. I then went to My Computer and ran the disk from there. Out of nowhere, the cursor appears and everything seems to be normal. After turning the computer off and back on however, the cursor again disappears until I run my windows installation disk. I've tried this 3 times now and every time inserting the disk causes the cursor to reappear. My theory (which may be wildly incorrect) is that when running the installation disk, it loads the proper files into the RAM which allows my cursor to be visible. As soon as the computer looses power, those files are gone and thus the cursor is no longer visible. This makes sense, (at least to me) except for the fact that the cursor is visible on both the login screen and in the Ctrl Alt Del screen.

I've searched all over Google and could not find a problem quite like this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

My PC:
    Windows 8.1
    Gigabyte 970A-DS3
    Corsair Vengeance LP 2 x 4GB
    Corsair TX 550M
    Evga GTX 550Ti 2GB

dividington, Jul 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. dividington

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Would you please restart your computer in Safe Mode and see if the same problem is present as you've reported above.
    There are any number of ways to boot Windows 8 into safe mode which you can Google.
    I prefer to use msconfig boot tab
    Hold the Windows Logo Key and strike the "R" key to bring up the run dialog box and type
    msconfig
    and hit enter
    Select the boot tab and choose the Safe boot check box in the Boot options section. You may want to also tick the Network radio button if you'd like.
    When you're done testing just reverse the above instructions and reboot in normal mode.

Trouble, Jul 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question