COPY FILES

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by twh_bell2, Dec 24, 2014.

1. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

OK - I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS .. all I want to do is copy files from one computer to another and permission permission permission permission permission permission permission - all the computers are on the same network all the computers are completely shared all the computer belong to the same homegroup .. all the files are mine and still it wont copy from one damn machine to another WHY WHY WHY
    WHY WHY WHY
    WHY WHY WHY
    WHY WHY WHY
    WHY WHY WHY
    WHY WHY WHY
    this is so frustrating ..
    CAN I SHUT OFF PERMISSSION CHECKING FOR GOOD - I DONT CARE ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES

twh_bell2, Dec 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. twh_bell2

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

The best and perhaps easiest way to do what you are trying to do is use the exact same name (Account User Name) and exact same password for that account on both machines.
    You don't have to be logged on to either machine as that particular user but the user must be present on both machines with the appropriate credentials and permissions to the files and folders you are attempting to copy / move.
    Don't use blank passwords Windows doesn't like that anymore.
    When you are prompted for credentials use the
    Machine Name\User Name
    and
    Password
    Format for authentication and tick the box that says remember or save (credentials)
    AND
    As a last resort (if you really don't care about the consequences then you can also add the "Everyone" group to your permission schema with full control to the folder containing the files and folders you are working with. Make sure to cascade it down to sub-folders and files.

Trouble, Dec 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

Unfortunately little I can do about that now .. on all 6 machines there is one (1) user acct with admin priv ..
    2 older win 7 pro boxes with the same user name and pw
    3 newer win 8 that use my Microsoft account and same pw
    1 Older box with win 8.1 that has no PW so it restarts auto when power fails

the issue is with the 3 newer win 8.1 with Microsoft acct as user and same pw - its not all files just files here and there and it drives me nuts

twh_bell2, Dec 24, 2014
  4. twh_bell2

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

As I said above......
    You don't actually have to use the accounts they just need to be present and have the appropriate privileges.
    And as far as using a blank password to facilitate autologin, you can do the same thing by just by running netplwiz selecting a user (with a password) and BAM.... autologin.
    You have to deal with it when you're sharing files across a network as authentication is part of the process, both Share Permissions as well as NTFS Permissions which are configured under the security tab of the file and or folder properties.

Trouble, Dec 24, 2014
  5. twh_bell2

Shintaro Moderator

I used to work for a company that the people in charge didn't care about security, well until it was too late. Their password was password.

Anyway as Trouble suggested just add the "Everyone" group with "Full Control" to the folder.

HERE is tutorial on how to do it.

It is not recommended, but you know that.

Hope this helps.

Shintaro, Dec 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question