Control my Windows 8 laptop with Iphone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hertihej, Feb 7, 2013.

1. hertihej

hertihej

I wonder if it is possible to stream my windows 8 computers screen to my Iphone 4S and at the same time be able to click around and control the computer through the phone. I have seen these kinds of things being showcased on different occasions but I have never actually found anyone who explains how it is done.

hertihej, Feb 7, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. hertihej

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I don't believe that streaming will have much to do with it, but I'm reasonably sure that "there's an app for that".
    Have a look at this one https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/2x-client-rdp-remote-desktop/id401103105?mt=8
    It's basically a Remote Desktop Client Application for your handheld apple device. Of course you will need to be running a Windows 8 Pro (or Enterprise) desktop / laptop in order to host a remote desktop session.
    Other than that it's only a matter of configuring the host machine to allow Remote Desktop Connections (Remote settings link, left column of Computer properties) and poking a pinhole in your router for TCP protocol on port 3389 and you should be off to the races.
    Be aware that some routers will not support going out and back in through the outside edge with an RDP session so you may actually have to test it from your neighbors house if you're using wifi, if you're using 3g or 4g shouldn't be a problem. If you are only attempting to use the RDP connection on the local (LAN) network, then no pinhole is required.

Trouble, Feb 8, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. hertihej

hertihej

That looks great, thanks a lot!

Just one more question, is it a problem if I do not have a router? I only have a 4g netstick that I use for my laptop.

hertihej, Feb 8, 2013
  4. hertihej

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Not exactly sure how those particular devices actually work with respect to network security.
    I would assume that all you would need is the version 4 TCP/IP address of the 4G stick and plug that into mstsc.exe and it should likely work, although personally I would be very cautious considering both devices may very well be getting publicly addressable IP addresses from your 4G provider and while there is some built in encryption going on with the common RDP connection, port 3389 is what is known as "a well known port" so you might consider altering that port to a lesser known port like 8886 in the Windows Registry and append the port number on the client with a colon, like ( 192.168.1.xxx:8886) where 192.168.1.xxx is the actual IP address you are trying to RDP to and :8886 is the port you've set as the RDP listening port in the Windows Registry. Google, change RDP listening port. And then you'll need to add that port to the windows firewall allow list with a new rule as editing default rules is not likely possible.

Trouble, Feb 8, 2013
  5. hertihej

hertihej

Well thanks again for your help, I might be getting "real" internet soon so I will wait a little bit as it does indeed seem a lot easier to do it without using a netstick.

hertihej, Feb 10, 2013
  6. hertihej

Tchégéda

7. hertihej

Ian Administrator

I use Mocha RDP (http://www.mochasoft.dk/iphone_rdp.htm) on my iPhone to remote access my Windows server - and it works great :). However it's a paid app and some of the ones linked to above are free (so may be worth giving those a shot!).

I've found that RDP works surprisingly well over a mobile 3G connection - 90% of the time I use it I'm out of the house.

Ian, Feb 15, 2013
  8. hertihej

Ace

I remember there being a TeamViewer app in the apple store. Configure TeamViewer on your Windows 8 OS and give it private access credentials that you can input to control it from your phone.

Ace, Feb 21, 2013
  9. hertihej

DarkRepulser

You definitely want to use LogMeIn for this, it's probably the most secure and responsive remote control application found in the App Store. The last time I checked it was free. You can easily control your PC using the touch gestures within LogMeIn, like double tap in order to double click. You do need the LogMeIn software on your computer installed though.

DarkRepulser, Feb 23, 2013
  10. hertihej

IndiePoster

This is interesting. I may see if there's an App for Android to do this. I would be very convenient to be able to control my computer when I'm not near it.

IndiePoster, Mar 29, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question