Connect 2 laptops directly via ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by twh_bell2, Feb 22, 2013.

1. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

I have a network at home - say 4 computers all wired with same workgroup and in same homegroup with same U/P .. all works wonderfully .. 3 are laptops and I can disconnect wire and they connect wirelessly - no problems.

I am going on vacation and taking 2 laptops with me .. one with Win 8 pro the other is Win 7 pro .. I cant take my network infrastructure with me obviously .. I want to be able to network the 2 laptops to share files etc ..

Am I correct in the reading I have done so far that the GB network hardware in the laptops will auto detect whats happening when I plug in an ethernet cable to connect the 2 laptops (and that it does not need to be a cross-over cable)? I have never done this simple thing and I will likely test when I have the time .. but thought it easy to ask here before I try ..

twh_bell2, Feb 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. twh_bell2

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

While I believe that most currently or recently manufactured ethernet interface cards have built in sensing of MDI / MDIX and will auto Cross for you. I would certainly test to confirm and not just kinda hope for the correct results.
    When in doubt I still believe that a good cross-over cable may be a worthwhile investment just in case.
    Just FYI http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Connect-two-computers-using-a-crossover-cable
    Good luck and maybe keep us posted as to your findings.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Feb 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

Thanks for the link - I did see that .. .. it is not a priorty for a month or so yet - but will post .

twh_bell2, Feb 24, 2013
  4. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

So - a patch cord between the 2 laptops - one win 8 and one win 7 - was sufficient .. At least I got the 2 computers connected to an 'unidentified public network' first - turned on network discovery and when prompted chose to make it a private network .. (both PCs) and they were connected . at least each laptop saw the other and the root directories - I didn't actually try to transfer or open anything - so its possible permissions might have stopped it - but it didn't appear that there were any issues.

twh_bell2, Mar 3, 2013
  5. twh_bell2

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Good news, good work, thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you were able to accomplish your task.
    Any permission to shares issues should be easily resolvable with proper credential authentication or if same username and password on both then Windows pass-through authentication will just work seamlessly.
    Thanks again for the follow-up
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Mar 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question