Configure printer for 2 separate wireless networks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Garrison Watts, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Garrison Watts

Garrison Watts

Please advise if this is not proper forum.

Hi

After an electrical storm I was given a combination modem router in place of a fried single function modem.

The office set up includes the new DSL Sagemcom [email protected] 1704 N combination modem router (with a new SSID WIN_6011), a wireless Brother MFC 8810DW printer and 3 other computers W8, W7, and Vista. In the office the best signal comes from the new WIN_6011 SSID.

The new Sagemcom 1704 device is wired to the old Linksys Cisco 610N router. The 3 remote WAPs are wired to the Cisco 610N router as they were previously.

Using a remotely located WAP, an Apple Computer, iPhone and iPad receive a much better signal (sometimes the only signal) from the old previously used network SSID WW. The remote areas do not receive the WIN_6011 SSID well.
    The office does not get as good a signal from the WW SSID.

So far I’ve not been able to be able to configure the printer to print from both SSIDs at the same time. It's only 1 or the other.

I will greatly appreciate advice.

Garrison Watts, Aug 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Garrison Watts

bassfisher6522

AFAIK, it's only one...because the PC in question (printing) can only be on one network at a time. Now, the other PC's in the old network and your PC on the new network should be able to print at the same time....as long as the printer itself is not busy with a print job. It should be stored in que and when first print job is done then the one in que should start printing. That is if everything is setup correctly....to check that I defer to our network guru "Trouble" for his expertise in this matter.

bassfisher6522, Aug 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Garrison Watts

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Not sure why you have two different networks.... or do you?
    The main thing when printing to a TCP/IP device such as a wireless printer is to make sure that all network nodes are on the same subnet.
    So check all devices (computers and printer) and confirm that their network addressing schema is within the same ip address range and subnet. Often when you have more than one device on the network capably of issuing DHCP addressing you end up with to completely different schemas and the nodes can talk to one another.
    Make sure everyone can ping each other by IP and NetBIOS name and if that works then getting everything to print to the printer should be as simple as configuring a TCP/IP printer port and installing the printer driver and pointing it to use that port.

Trouble, Aug 9, 2014
  4. Garrison Watts

Garrison Watts

Gentlemen:
    I do appreciate your comments. Unfortunately, they indicate that I have more network sophistication than I actually have.

I have 2 networks because I have the old network SSID WW which I've used for years with the WAPs and also the new network, WIN_6011 which appeared immediately after I connected the new combination modem router.

First please answer these questions to help me understand what is happening.

Because the network signal of WW is not nearly as strong as that of 6011 in the office (and I have a unencumbered line of sight 12 feet to the combination modem router as well as the old Cisco Linksys router) is it possible that the inconsistent WW signal I'm receiving in the office is not from the Cisco router, but is coming from one of the more remote WAPs which might explain the signal problems.

1 That is, did connecting the combination device to the Cisco Linksys router turn off its local broadcast in the office?

2 I gather is impossible for me to simply configure the printer so that it works with both networks as they are, at the same time. Is this correct?

3 Can you be more specific about this?

"“Make sure everyone (each computer?) can ping each other by IP (how do I find these?) and NetBIOS name (is this the name of the computer and printer and just enter the command nbtstat -n ? Pinging the name of the printer did nothing, the printer IP replied ) and if that works (how do I know a reply?) then getting everything to print to the printer should be as simple as configuring a TCP/IP printer port (where and how?) and installing (in each computer?) the printer driver (this would be different in each W8, W7, Vista and Apple.? I do have a Brother Macintosh printer DVD) and pointing (how?) it to use that port."" if I knew better way to ask this, I would use it.

My sincere thanks.

G

Garrison Watts, Aug 10, 2014
  5. Garrison Watts

You need to start off by determining each network node's IP address.
    On the Windows machines you just open a command prompt and type
    ipconfig /all
    and make a note of the IPv4 address of the network adapter on that machine you are using on your network.
    On the printer, there should be a means of printing the network information from the printer menu

All network nodes must be using the same IP addressing schema or else you may have a device getting DHCP from another router.
    Probably the best thing you should do is configure the End Point Upstream Router (the one that actually connects to the internet) to do everything and turn off DHCP on the second down stream router.and configure it's IP LAN address manually.
    So if the upstream end point router has an internal LAN IP address of say .... 192.169.1.1 then set the downstream router manually to 192.168.1.2
    Configure the upstream router's DHCP addressing so it excludes 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.3 through 192.168.1.254) and don't plug anything into the WAN port on the downstream router, just use it's switch ports.

For configuring a TCP/IP printer port use the IP address of the printer.
    On the machines that will be using the network printer.... Open devices and printers and get rid of any failed attempts at adding the printer. Get rid of any failed (not working printers).
    Then select a random printer that remains (I just used the Microsoft XPS Document Writer) and from the menu bar at the top select "Print Server Properties"
    From the resultant window select the ports tab and the add port button.
    Adding the TCP/IP port is pretty straight forward just type in the IP address of the network attached printer in the Port Name text box.

Now when you use the add printer wizard you will be able to select that port during the installation process.

Trouble, Aug 10, 2014
  6. Garrison Watts

Garrison Watts

Thank you. I'm still working on it.

Garrison Watts, Aug 14, 2014
  7. Garrison Watts

You're welcome..... keep us posted.

Trouble, Aug 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question