Classic Shell

Discussion in 'Software' started by airplayne, Aug 5, 2014.

1. airplayne

airplayne

Not sure if anyone else has come across this, but I recently installed this on my laptop (Windows 8) and it is quite good. No, I do not have any affiliation with the people that have developed it, just that I downloaded and am using it without complaint. Check it out.

http://www.classicshell.net/

airplayne, Aug 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. airplayne

Ian Administrator

Yep, it's pretty good! I used it for quite a while and liked the start menu it provided - although I was less keen on the extensions to IE/Explorer (but they can easily be disabled). A great bit of software :).

Ian, Aug 6, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. airplayne

TrainableMan ^ The World's First ^ Moderator

I have installed the Start Menu portion of Classic Shell on the W8 machines I support but I do not install the portion for Windows Explorer, IE, nor the auto updater.

Last I heard the second release of Win 8.1 was supposed to include the option to put back the start menu so after that Classic Shell may not be needed by me. But I read another post saying now there won't BE an update 2 which I find ... disapponting.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    TrainableMan, Aug 27, 2014
  4. airplayne

davehc

It is solidly confirmed that the old menu will not, (up until now) be returned to Windows 8.0/8.1
    It is still a wide debate on the web, but I and many others, have now accommodated the icon (metro) start menu. I am really happy with the one click and select program environment and hope, if the start menu is reintroduced in the next Windows version, it will have an option to not include it.
    Most important promised feature for the next Windows, is a return to windowed features on the desktop for everything, including the so-called "Apps" This also, does not bother me too much. I only have use for my legacy programs, which are, in any event, windowed.

davehc, Aug 28, 2014
  5. airplayne

TrainableMan ^ The World's First ^ Moderator

If I had a touch screen then I could probably make like "folders" out of the metro columns but I don't have a touch screen and it is far more convenient to move my thumb over the trackball about one inch to expand menus and submenus then it would ever be to scroll through screens and screens of little squares to find all my programs & utilities. So it seems, for me, Classic Shell is the best option, since my hopes of 8.1 release 2 and a return of menus have been crushed.

My niece actual likes the metro so I have Classic Shell installed on hers but I reverse the options so metro is the default. When I need to work on it I then just have to hold ctrl while I click on Start window so menus pop up instead. A pretty good solution that Microsoft could easily have included to give people a choice. Instead they take away the choice and it results in people going to another developer.

TrainableMan, Aug 28, 2014
  6. airplayne

davehc

Laugh at me if you will. I have quite a large touch screen. I find it more convenient to have a hand on the mouse and click the icons.
    My screens and screens, are limited to the most used programs and agtually only cover one visible screen. All the remainder. Maintenance such as Defrag; Dis clean etc, and the more sophisticated but seldom used programs, are left down in the "All Apps" section . Another click, yes, but seldom used.
    Arguable, but valid, Microsoft did give a choice - download a third party menu. Similarly, in all MS OSs to date, I have always downloaded and installed programs which I felt were superior to those offered by MS. (Paint.etc..), so I did not fell put upon with the withdrawal of the accustomed start menu.

davehc, Aug 28, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question