changing boot name

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by -jonno-, Feb 4, 2014.

1. -jonno-

-jonno-

hi there, my apologies if this has been asked before, i did a search and nothing came up.
    when i had xp / 98 i could change os names in boot.ini because i had multiple os's when i turned the pc on i could choose the right one i wanted to run. can i do this with win8 and how, because i have win8.1 on a hard drive with all my stuff on it and now i got win 8 on an ssd .

i am keeping the win 8 install as a gaming os and i want to rename it as gaming os. it is just about to update to 8.1 and i will have 2 win 8.1 os's to choose from on boot up and dont want to click the wrong one and have to restart again each time. thanks in advance.

-jonno-, Feb 4, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. -jonno-

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

When booted into the OS you wish to rename (change the descriptive name) simply launch an administrative command prompt and type
    bcdedit /set {current} description “Win 8.1 Game″
    where the words between the quotes, in this case Win 8.1 Game is the name you want. Quotes are needed if your name contains spaces and squiggly brackets around the word current.
    You should be able to see the impact if you simply launch msconfig and check the boot tab.

And..... welcome to the forum.

Trouble, Feb 4, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question