Change Product Key

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by arm, Jun 11, 2015.

1. arm

arm

Control Panel> Systems and Security> System: This page will contain the 'Change Product Key' link at the bottom right of the page. What is the link for? I put in my genuine Win 8.1 Pro Full Retail product key in the 'Change Product Key' link dialogue, expecting to be given a new product key. However, the dialogue box closed with a cryptic message 'We are all done', and there was no further communication. What is the 'Change Product Key' link for? MSDN didn't seem to know.

arm, Jun 11, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. arm

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

That option is for instances where you have, for some reason, the wrong product key associated with your install and consequently Windows will not activate or in a case where for some reason you actually want to enter a different product key for your own purposes.

Trouble, Jun 11, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. arm

arm

Thank you for describing what the 'Change Product Key' is for. I put in my genuine Win 8.1 Pro Full Retail product key in the 'Change Product Key' link dialogue, expecting to be given a new product key. However, the dialogue box closed with a cryptic message 'We are all done', and there was no further communication. How could I enter a new product key in the future [in case I discard my current PC for a better one] without being given one by Microsoft?
    MSDN confirmed that my original product key will continue to be valid as long as I use the OS on one and only one PC [I may have to call them for activation.]

arm, Jun 14, 2015
  4. arm

Rajittaa

Microsoft won't give you a new product key without you paying for one. Any machine currently shipping with Windows 8.1 does not come with a document showing your product key. The product key is stored in your BIOS and will automatically insert itself as long as your use the proper installation media. You can get the key out of your BIOS by using ProduKey.

Rajittaa, Jul 6, 2015
  5. arm

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

A retail product key is transferrable (unlike OEM keys), just as long as you make sure that there is only a single installation on a single machine, the key is still good and no purchase of additional keys should be necessary.

Trouble, Jul 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question