Can't see screen while installing Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by jackdeath, Jul 30, 2012.

1. jackdeath

jackdeath

Hi,

New here, and have a problem. I want to try windows 8, and it boots up, restarts a couple of times, and then the screen on my computer goes dark, can't see anything but my mouse cursor.

I have an ATI 6850 Graphics card, could this be why? and if so how do you remedy it? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

jackdeath, Jul 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. jackdeath

davehc

Could you clarify "boots up"? Do you mean the installation DVD, or the installed OS? I think the latter? It does seem, first thought, that it is a graphics problem. Have you installed any device drivers since the original OS installation? See if you can boot up into safe mode,. open the control panel - device manager, and "roll back" the graphics driver. fwiw, I don't see a compatibility problem with that graphics card.

davehc, Jul 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. jackdeath

jackdeath

Okay, I booted into Windows 8 from the installation DVD as the primary OS. I didn't do an upgrade, I ran as new installation. I can't navigate at all, as I can't see a thing to do anything. The only thing visible is the cursor. How would you boot into safe mode? Hope this helps and thanks.

jackdeath, Jul 30, 2012
  4. jackdeath

davehc

Please bear with me, but I have to ask again. "I booted into Windows 8 from the installation DVD as the primary OS." Do you mean you booted up with the DVD, in order to install, or? Reading between the lines - You chose the DVD as the primary boot agent, and booted the computer. Then you got a black screen. If this is correct, then the DVD may be faulty. If, however, you have installed, perhaps you have forgotten to change the boot order back to the correct partition/Hard disk, in the bios?

davehc, Jul 30, 2012
  5. jackdeath

jackdeath

No problem, it's hard to guess what another person is doing. I originally had windows 7 as my primary OS, I burned windows 8 onto a DVD, then reinstalled windows 8 from that DVD I made. First boot option is DVD drive, than primary hard disc as second boot device.
    It asks to boot from DVD as always, then does it's thing, it copies files and reboots several times, than when it boots I believe the third time, it boots only so far and then the screen goes dark. So I can't see what to do next!

When I move my mouse, the cursor is visible and can move it around, but it's on what I call the blank or dark screen, nothing else happens. I tried several different hard drives just to see if it would do it on them as well, and it does. Does this help? Sorry if I am not answering your question. I got sick of trying and put windows 7 back on and everything is fine.

jackdeath, Jul 30, 2012
  6. jackdeath

davehc

First, there is no need to uninstall Windows 7! If you have space, make another partition and install Windows 8 there. It will, at the time of installation, create a dual boot manger for you. You can also, if that is a better option for you, install Windows 8 on another hard disk on your system. I would suggest that, whilst you are in Windows 7, that you give the proposed new space a distinctive name, (Like Win8). It is so easy to get the partitions confused, when they are offered during the install.
    It is a driver problem, and my money is on a graphics driver. Not many suggestions I'm afraid.
    If you were trying a 64 Bit download, you could downgrade to the 32 Bit.
    Remove any peripherals you may have - printers; USB attachments etc.
    Last. Here I am assuming you obtained Windows 8 from a reliable source? (We are on the RP now, by the way). If so, try another burn. During the initial stage of the install, select the customise option and select the option to format the selected partition, before proceeding.

davehc, Jul 30, 2012
    jackdeath likes this.
  7. jackdeath

jackdeath

Ok, Thanks!!

jackdeath, Jul 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question