Can't open WiFi panel after disconnection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GuyBall, May 25, 2013.

1. GuyBall

GuyBall

Yeah another thing that's bugging me. Sometimes when my modem gets restarted - I'm unable to open the WiFi panel (in the charm bar - whatever that's called) and connect it manually since it won't connect automatically. I've also tried to connect through network and connections, but no avail. I mean it's totally dead, unresponsive, so that I'm not even able to see which networks are available by any means.

Restart solves this though. Any idea what may be causing this? I mean it's not that big a deal, but it's slightly annoying when it happens.

GuyBall, May 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. GuyBall

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Have a look in device manager.
    Select the network device involved after expanding network connections, then right click it and choose properties and look for a power management tab and under that confirm "Allow the ocmputer to turn off this device to save power" is not selected.
    You may also want to do the same steps for any supporting devices..... for instance, if the network card is actually a USB Dongle, then you will likely want to do the same thing regarding the USB root hub it is connected to. Additionally double check power settings in control panel for settings specific for "Wireless Adapter Settings", "USB settings", and "PCI Express" try turning "Link State Power Management" "Off" and see if any of that makes any difference what so ever.
    Although it might be a good idea to figure out what keeps restarting your modem as treating the symptoms rather than the problem is going about it the long way round.

Trouble, May 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. GuyBall

GuyBall

Nah - restarting is not a frequent issue - I have some power fluctuations down here sometimes that restarts my modem. Otherwise it's absolutely fine alright.

I'll check the power management tab and see if it happens again. Very weird issue though - seeing that when I hove the mouse over the icon I can see the "Networks available" tooltip, but it won't open for the life of it. Some sort of Windows 8 bug perhaps?

GuyBall, May 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question