Can't install Windows 8

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by elcrimp, Sep 20, 2011.

1. elcrimp

elcrimp

Hello friends,

I am having some problems with installing Windows 8 on to my computer. It shows a blank screen when I boot from the DVD that I made from the Windows 8 ISO.

Is there a way to solve this problem or see a log so I can provide more details.

-el

elcrimp, Sep 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. elcrimp

Ace

Are you sure you're selecting the proper boot device, and did you burn the ISO to the disk as "data" or an image file? Basically if you used a program like ImgBurn then your disk should be in the proper format.

Blank screen on boot - means it's not finding anything typically.

Ace, Sep 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. elcrimp

Papo

To add to Ace questions; Can you tell us the steps you are taking to install Win 8?

Papo, Sep 20, 2011
  4. elcrimp

antstubell

I had problems with the 32bit install it simply wouldn't install.. I tried the 64bit developer and 64bit developer with tools and they installed fine from dvd disc and usb. Its hard to fathom out why sometimes an OS won't install and more importantly an OS that is still in its infancy, Remember this Win8 build isn't even beta yet, so unfortunately its trial and error. If you need any specific help I will do my best to aid you - as far as i can work out from your post is that either the burn you did or some BIOS setting isn't working. Did you try to install from disc? How did you make the disc? Bootable from BIOS or from within the Windows enviroment and what OS are you changinf from?

antstubell, Sep 20, 2011
  5. elcrimp

davehc

Just a word of caution. There is , by default, a very long "blank" screen initially, when you install. I have not timed it, but would guess it could be as much as five minutes. During this period it is checking your computer for compatibility and assessing required drivers.

davehc, Sep 21, 2011
  6. elcrimp

antstubell

If it takes 5 minutes of blank screen then there is something wrong with your PC. Nothing should take that long.

antstubell, Sep 21, 2011
  7. elcrimp

elcrimp

I am grateful for the many responses!

The black screen was when the DVD had just booted, it was just blank. I downloaded the ISO again and burned another copy, now it works! :D

Can the first ISO/DVD be damaged and cause this?

elcrimp, Sep 22, 2011
  8. elcrimp

Ian Administrator

It's hard to know what a corrupt ISO or DVD can do - as it could one of a number of errors. However, since you're now up and running, I'd say that it was almost certainly the cause.

Hope you enjoy testing Windows 8 :).

Ian, Sep 23, 2011
  9. elcrimp

antstubell

Many things can go wrong with a DVD burn, something as stupid as a bad blank DVD or knocking your PC when it is writing. Glad to know you got it working.

antstubell, Sep 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question