cant get access to my own C drive

SOLVED Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Claudia Thompson, May 13, 2014.

1. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Hello, I am asking that someone PLEASE answer my question. Nearly every time I ask a question on this forum, no one answers me and its frustrating.

This morning (again) I tried to add something to a notepad document that I had on my C drive and resave it. Something popped up saying that I do not have permission to save to this location then it asks me if I want to save it to My Documents instead. This is SO utterly ridiculous! Can anyone please help! It does this kind of thing OFTEN. Sometimes I cannot even rename one of my own photos in my artwork folder, it denies permission.

Claudia Thompson, May 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Where are you trying to save the document? Location?
    Did you have permissions on that directory?

Shintaro, May 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I had saved a notepad file a couple of weeks ago into a folder I had created on my C Drive. Then this morning I was trying to add another paragraph to the same file/ Something popped up saying "Access Denied". So I tried resaving it as something else, adding a number 1 to the end and it told me I didn't have permission etc, asking if I wanted to save it in my documents instead.

One reason this really worries me is that I was reading some comments on another forum where people were complaining that they thought they had lost like 3,000 files because they cannot access them now. And I am in the process of writing a very large book with many chapters, all the chapters on different files, along with pictures etc. If I get all done and then cannot even access all the work I have done that will just kill me!

I haven't got a clue actually if I have permissions on that directory. I am the only person that uses this computer, its my home computer. I thought I ought to have permission? What gets me is that it only acts like this sort of randomly. Like I will be working on my photos to add to this book, and everything is normal and suddenly it wont allow me to rename a picture, like even my own personal photo ... its crazy! Normally though, if this happens, I can just save it with another name. But this time it wouldn't even let me do that with this notepad file.

How do I get myself permission? Its my own computer, I paid for it, so why don't I have permission. How do I get permission to use everything on it?

4. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Ok, just for future reference I strongly suggest that you put any document of value up on something like OneDrive.com.

But to the problem at hand.
    Lets start with virus scans.

1. Download and run TDSSKiller.
      1. Accept the "End User License Agreement"
      2. Accept the "KSN Statement"
      3. Select "Change Parameters" and Select:
        • Verify file digital signatures
        • Detect TDLFS file system
        • Use KSN to scan objects
      4. When the scan is complete the log file is in C:\ It will have a name like "TDSSKiller.3.0.0.34_04.05.2014_08.05.16_log.txt"
    2. Install Malwarebytes (Free Version)
      1. Select "Threat Scan"
      2. When it is completed, please upload the log file from: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs
    3. Please download and run Windows Defender Offline.
      1. Click "Next"
      2. Click "I Accept"
      3. Select Either: (Typically it is either CD/DVD or USB)
        • CD or DVD
        • USB
        • ISO file
      4. Cllick "Next"
      5. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.

Shintaro, May 13, 2014
  5. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Before I do any of this, I just want to ask something first. I recently just got my computer back from being repaired and they said Windows had been corrupted (whatever that means) and that they fixed it. I have only had it back for about a week.

So my question is... if I download and do all the stuff that you just told me to do, is any of it going to alter or change anything on my computer to the point where it might corrupt it again? Or is it just sort of going to tell you what's already there? I am pretty much computer illiterate, so I do not know much about computers at all.

6. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

You know what? I just figured I would go back to my C drive in the Notepad files I have saved there and try opening a different Notepad file and add a sentence to it and save it and it worked fine. Then I tried saving it as something else and it worked fine. That's one thing that makes no sense to me why it picks out one thing and does that to me.

7. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

What I would suggest after the virus scan would be to run a chkdsk (Check Disk) to make sure all the files are ok.

If they said that Windows was corrupted, that could be many things.

This is not a gender related statement as I am a stay-at-home dad and was just washing cloths. Think of virus scans and check disk like stain removal(Viruses) and washing the cloths (Check disk) making the computer clean (from viruses) and looking good (Files are not corrupted).

Changes? Well that depends on if it is a bad infection or bad corruption. Hence that is why we make sure that there are no underlying problems first.

Shintaro, May 13, 2014
  8. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

When I click on the TDSSKiller link I don't see anywhere on the page to actually download it?

9. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I am doing the Malware bytes thing right now and I will let you know when I am done. I hope that I didn't have to do the TDSSKiller thing first, because I cant find a place to download it yet.

10. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Sorry, Please click on "How to disinfect a compromised system"

Shintaro, May 13, 2014
  11. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Okay thank you, I will do that next

12. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I did not have a C:program Data folder and so I copied the log thing from the clipboard and uploaded it. I hope its the right thing. This is the results from the Malwarebytes

Attached Files:

13. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I looked at this file log thing and noticed that it says "Administrator: Yes"

Does this mean it is set up where I am supposed to be able to access all my files?

Also when you right click the C Drive and click properties, and security, and it has all the settings for how much stuff you can access, how do I know that is all set up properly?

14. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

On the TDSSKiller page when I try to click on the "How to disinfect a compromised system" it will not open. I mean the link doesn't open for me.

15. Claudia Thompson

WimAbbenhuis

WimAbbenhuis, Jun 2, 2014
  16. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

okay thank you, I will give that a try :)

Claudia Thompson, Jun 2, 2014
  17. Claudia Thompson

martinp

I wonder if Claudia is still working, gave up, or realized her problem with text files appears to be solved ("I just figured I would go back to my C drive in the Notepad files I have saved there and try opening a different Notepad file and add a sentence to it and save it and it worked fine.").

* MS W8 Windows Defender would provide all the protection you probably need if installed and running full time on your PC.
    * Be Careful and Cautious fixing problems! Changing things can lead to many woes. I speak from experience on that one; I promise.
    * Good PC habits are preventative, and will go a long way toward things working like they should. It's like driving a car for example: Don't slam it into Reverse while moving forward in Drive.

martinp, Sep 21, 2014
  18. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I did finally sort everything out. I found out how to just sign in as the Administrator and am putting all my files and folders there. It saves me alot of hassle.

Claudia Thompson, Sep 21, 2014
  19. Claudia Thompson

martinp

I hear that.... no one needs extra hassles !

martinp, Sep 21, 2014
  20. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I hope it is alright to do this here. I decided to just put this here in case anyone else has the same problems I did. I am going to tell you how to change everything on your Windows 8 to activate the Administrators Account.

1.Press the Windows Key on the bottom part of your keyboard along with the X key at the same time. And a window thing will pop up giving you some choices.

2. Choose the command prompt- Administrator, click on that.

3. A Black window will appear.Type in: net user Administrator/ active:yes

Then hit 'Enter'. Then type in: exit -then hit 'Enter' again.

Then log off.

Now you should see two different squares, the Administrator and the User. Choose the Administrator and sign in.

Okay now what I did is to use my external hard drive and plug it into my computer. I have a WD or Western Digital that you can buy from a computer shop online, just google it. I put all my files and folders etc onto it so that then I can take my files and folders and put them onto my Administrator's Account so that I no longer have to use the normal Users Account any longer. Be sure to log out of the Users Account though. If you don't it can affect things you are doing on your new Administrator's Account, like if you didn't log out of something it views it as another instance of the program is open, etc.

Now once you have done all that, if you haven't done this already... if you hate the Windows 8 'tiles' and want your computer to get back to normal like it used to be with the Start button and Start menu so you can find your programs and everything once again, just go to google and download the Windows 8 Classic Shell. http://www.classicshell.net/ and be sure to choose your menu style and start button style. You can right click also on the Start button to get your settings the way that you want them to be.

Doing all these things will go a long way towards getting rid of your Windows 8 problems to make it more like your computer used to be.

Oh one more thing. If you right click on your computer screen, and choose 'personalize' then click on 'change desktop icons'... you can tick the boxes that say computer, recycle bin, control panel, users files. If you do that it will make things even easier for you because all of that will be right on your desktop. Then look in your new Administrator's File folder that this creates on your desktop for you. In it you will find: contacts, downloads, desktop, favorites, my documents, my music, my pictures, my videos. saved games, searches, sky drives. That way you can keep all your stuff in these folders and it should make it where Windows 8 doesn't get upset with you for trying to do things to your files and folders 'without permission, if you just stick to these folders that it has there for you to use. I plan to transfer all my stuff into these folders.

Oh and be sure that once you get all your stuff on this new Administrator's Account, that you create a system restore point. That way if things get messed up you can just set it all back to the original state it was in once you got it like you wanted it.

To create a restore point

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

In the left pane, click System protection.

Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

And also, any of your programs you want to be able to get easily to, just use your new Windows Classic Shell Start Menu and find the programs and right click them and 'pin to taskbar. That makes it easy to find everything right there on your desktop.

So anyway, I hope this helps someone out there in 'Windows 8 Land' LOL!

Claudia Thompson, Sep 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question